Something about Fisher I don't get

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You have to look at each case individually and we can't know all the information here since we don't know what these player's assignments are on every play.

Who upgraded McCareins? There was no one behind Thompson. Same with Harper. You going to pay Washington and not play him? Fowler was gone the moment Tulloch learned the position.

I'm not saying Fisher is perfect but I think it's rare that the better overall player isn't getting the start.

Totally disagree. The coaches are on the record saying how Hawk has had problems picking up the playbook and/or adjusting his routes. How many times have we seen him within feet of another receiver? The kid isn't where he needs to be mentally.

Britt was the better option later in the season but about the dumbest thing you can do is throw a rookie WR in there from the start. They had him in on certain packages until he was ready. His roles will increase significantly if he's willing to get himself in shape.

The Titans pretty much ran the same defense in '09 as they did in '08. Remove a pass rush and you get what you saw last year whether the DC is Cecil or Schwartz. Where I think Cecil had issues was making the right call in particular situations. He will get better and I think improved later in the season last year.

He had the high-ankle sprain which he said slowed him down 3/4 of the season. He said this himself. They were also paying Scaife over $4 mil a season.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Of course we look at each case individually. There's no way an armchair fan is getting anywhere near all the picture but after 16 years of supporting Jeff Fisher I think we're qualified to know his MO by now.

In 2008 McCareins missed 4 games due to injury.

Gage and Jones really gelled as a partnership without JMac and even Hawk got in a few reps. The offence got into a groove.

#19 returned and went straight back into the line up.

Even if JMac had been better than Jones why fix something that wasn't broken. In fact he took Gages number 1 spot and completely changed the offence's chemistry. We went back to stop start drives.

Why is that?

He was the worst player on the field for 3 straight seasons. We gambled on Thompson after picking him up from the bengals as a FA in 04 and he did ok. We drafted Lowry in 06 who was a bust.

Not until 07 did we address the issue by drafting Griffin and letting Thompson go.

I thought Harper was a good fit for us. In 08 he had his best year behind all the great front 4 pressure. Last year he was badly exposed.

When he was hurt Hood was a spark that lifted the D. He was not by any means the 2nd coming but he was playing better than Harper and playing on a high. Why change that? Never take a player out of the lineup when he's on a hot streak.

Yes ,see my Britt response below.

Fowler should never hav been signed. very overpaid Cowboys backup who was Sirmon after the knee injury 2.0. He was a JAG player who barely filled a hole in the middle.

Who was that LB bum that we traded a pick to the Hawks for and who never saw the field. Same type of guy.

Yet he was money when it counted against the Cards. Made errors but caught everything thrown at him. Looks like the kind of player that improves with playing time.

When Britt really shined was when Washington was hurt. I agree he was held back early for good reason. However when he was playing well Washington returned to suck things up again. Britt's time was again reduced and he disapeared.

What kind of message does that send to the player? You're doing great but hey, the unproven guy who was starting and kept ropping balls is fit again so we're stepping you down again.

Merry Xmas Kenny.

How much money a player is being paid should not be a factor in whether he plays or not. Washington doesn't need more time to learn anything. We've seen what he has to offer and it's not good enough.

He was fine in an up and coming 3 rd WR role for the Steelers. Now he's an over paid guy who's not even reliable enough to be an every down #3 WR.

He ran the same Defence . Right on. The problem was that it wasn't working. We had no teeth on the interirior line. For four games we pushed on regardless with no attempt to change things up. No creativity to compensate for not having the players to make the designed scheme work.

True but when asked to step up against the Cards he played well. By that point the ankle was behind him. We saw him again for only 3-4 plays the rest of the season.

He had no place in a starting lineup that requird him to block. Why draft the guy if you don''t want him to catch balls. Scaife is the pass catching TE. There will be again no place for Cook in the lineup unless Scaife gets hurt.

We will hear that Cook isn't ready.

3. TitanJeff

This is beginning to look like a Gut thread so I'll try to be brief.

I think McCareins was Dinger's boy. B. Jones was working the slot. With the leading receiver on the Titans racking up only 651 yards, do we think Gage, Jones and Hawkins (who didn't know the playbook) do a lot better than who they put out there?

Remember the first game against the Dolphins? Fans were thinking he was going to be a future super star. What I remember about LT is that he'd make a play followed by two where he looked lost (much like Griffin this season).

It sounds like your beef is that the Titans didn't make any moves to replace him through free agency because there wasn't anyone behind him during his stretch.

He played a season too long but the Titans didn't bring in enough vet depth at the position. Hood did okay vs. the pass but did little in run support. He also started in four games against some of the worse passing teams in the league.

It's a no-win situation. The Titans had a need to replace Sirmon. They brought in a kid they thought had a lot of upside. They're criticized if they don't try to bring someone in and criticized when they do.

How can you blame a coach who rarely plays someone who doesn't run the correct routes?

Britt didn't start in only the final two games. One was the San Diego massacre and the other the finale in Seattle where the ball was going to CJ.

That's unrealistic. It's like buying an expensive car and never driving it. Washington struggled at times but all of the receivers did. I personally think he'll lead the team in receiving yards this upcoming season.

With Al gone and Jones hurt, who do you recommend Cecil puts in? They rotate on the DL. Every active player usually gets reps. Are you saying the Titans should have replaced Cecil after only eight games? Do you honestly think another DC steps in and turns things around with the same talent?

He played in all but one game down the stretch. The guy was invisible except in the Cards game. The player has to make plays. He has to show he belongs on the field. Let's hope it happens soon.

Maybe he looked so good in training camp was because he was lighting it up against one of the worst secondaries in the league. :hmm:

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If you can afford an expensive car you can afford to drive something else if your new toy doesn't drive like you'd hoped. You'll pay the finance deal but drive something else if it's a better fit.

If he leads us in yardage we'll be having another poor WR by committee season that we're used to. Leopards can't change their spots.

we needed to adapt the scheme to suit the players and fast.

Second half of the season we improved as Cecil changed things up. OIt took far too long to happen though.

We haven't beefed up the interior line in the off season and Jones is still having shoulder issues. Derrick Morgan is not going to take reps at DT.

It's a real concern that we come out rushing the front four inneffectively again this year and are slow to adapt if it doesn't work.

Cecil gets a pass for year one but it was a Fisher gamble that we could ill afford to take when trying to build on a 13-3 season.

Fisher should already have a plan in place for what to do if our defence/Cecil struggles again this coming season.

I doubt very much that he has one though.

5. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

You're both making some good points, but you're both making some bad points too.

Hard to consider Lowry a bust considering where he was drafted. In his limited playing time during the "Thompson Years" :barf:, he appeared to be the better option. It was obvious in '07 that he was indeed a better option than Thompson; Griffin was simply an even better option.

Javon Haye. There's a good example of the FO paying a player a lot of money, and then Fisher not playing him. On the other hand, Nate had something to offer that our other receivers didn't. He has speed. He has the ability to get down the field and not be blanketed by defenders before dropping an easy catch. Still, despite having questionable hands, you play a guy that can get down the field and potentially make big plays. He also led our WR's in scoring.

Fowler was a good pickup for the Titans. I'm not sure you could have considered him overpaid. He filled a need when the Titans were desperate at MLB, and he did pretty well. He didn't play as well as Tulloch is now, but he shored up our run defense while Tulloch was learning.

It's my understanding that Heimerdinger had no love for McCareins. Their relationship became strained in their days with the Jets. I would say that was Fisher's call, and McCareins shouldn't have made the starting lineup. I seriously think Paul Williams could have done better, and we know he's a bust. He was Eric Moulds part two, and I seriously doubt Heimerdinger became enamored with him again.

Cecil's defense was basically the same, but it was different as well. Our corners were giving WR's a huge cushion at the LOS, especially early in the season. No point in even having a pass rush with that much cushion. Griffin had a bad year, and it's my opinion that a big reason for that is that his role got changed. I think Cecil wanted him to be more active on run defense, and is essentially why he ended up looking lost much of the time. He wasn't biting on play action that much in Schartz's defenses because his role was more basic.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Interesting take on Griffin. Ilike it.

Going back to Gunny's point. I think the bottom line with a Fisher team is that he's slow to make any kind of change.

Change to the lineup,change to the style of play.He will stick with a poorly playing experienced player over a talented rookie.

Even if that experienced play is going to be soon cut loose.

It's not logical

7. TitanJeff

I've been critical of Fisher at times--especially the past season. But the Titans have not played "Fisherball" in years. I see a very different offense when Young is at QB than when Collins was in.

Defensively, I don't understand the desire for wholesale changes just because the DCs have changed. The same scheme was a top 10 defense in '08. There were a number of reasons for why the defense plunged in '09 and some of that was on Cecil. But the majority of it was breakdowns by the secondary, injury-related or just a lack of pressure up front. No scheme can compensate for this.

I've already spoken to the playing the diminishing vet over the talented rookie. I think it's too much of a broad stroke to say he does it all the time when there are many examples of him doing the opposite.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I've also discussed our scheme in other threads.

It's true that the classic 4-3 defence can still work.

In our case though we play a one gap system our DE's line up very wide. It puts more pressure on our DT's to be dominant and win each battle. More than any other 4-3 team in the league we rely on top notch DT's.

We need the kind of DT's that are hard to find now with smaller athletes being the norm coming out of college. It's harder for the Titans to find the right linemen to make our scheme work.

The Colts run a scheme that has a bigger talent pool to pick from when needing to replace guys. They seem to be able to replace guys at will.

We were rotating guys who couldn't get it done. Jason Jones is still not recovered from that shoulder injury. If he's healthy we might bounce back but there's no effective depth because the right players that fit are so hard to find.

Our scheme is sorely lacking if we don't have the right guys inside.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

"they give us the best chance to win games"

10. TitanJeff

I totally agree that the DT is key to the Titan defense being successful. But no way did Fisher know Jones would during the last offseason. They brought in Haye who they thought would be quality depth. They used a second-round pick at the position. I'm not seeing much more the Titans could have done to address the position last season.

If you are saying that the Titans/Cecil needed to change the scheme once Jones went down and Haye wasn't getting it done, I ask "to what?" I don't see how a team can just switch up their scheme mid-season. If you are saying Cecil needed to call more blitzes, etc. I think he did but good QBs will find a way to beat you if you don't mix things up.

Where I think Cecil had issues is calling the right play in a given situation early in the season. For example, the Roethlisberger third-and-15 or so on that final drive the Steelers went down to tie up the game late. Cecil rushed only three. Ben stood back there eight seconds fake pumping until someone opened up.

Like everything else, Cecil improved as the season wore on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar