Someone gave me a 1st Generation iMac... What can I do with it?

Discussion in 'Gear' started by World Peace, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I work in corporate IT, however, I've never been a big fan of macs. With this said, I'm fairly literate when it comes to computers (Windows & Linux).

I have been doing some research on this iMac I was given. I am pretty sure its the first generation of iMacs made. It is blue, it has the G3 processor and its only 350Mhz.6gig hard drive

It appears to me, that who ever had it, pretty much bought it, then let it sit in the corner for about 10 years. I am wondering, What can I use it for? Can I upgrade it? It does not have a slot for an airport, so I don't think I can get it on my apartment buildings wireless network.

Ideas, Suggestions?

2. Glorified word processor? Paperweight?

Frankly, any computer that old (and especially with an abandoned processor architecture) is pretty much useless. You can't upgrade it to anything remotely modern either.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

It comes bundled with IE5 on OS9.2.2 which I'd be afraid to take online. However can macs get malware or viruses? even with IE5? I guess the next step up would be OS10 or something like that? I was thinking I could leave it in my mancave, and kinda have it as a terminal for guests to use the internet and maybe put some Mp3s on it. I guess I would have to go with iTunes? Like Star said, I could use it as a word processor, but would i need a proprietary printer for a mac, and if not, how likely is it that am i going to find a printer with drivers for a OS9.2.2 machine

It looks pretty good in my mancave, because I have some two toned blue decor in there, and the imac, in combination with the titans wallpaper looks pretty sweet.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You can use it to stop traffic. Throw it out the window, and watch and see what happens. As a matter of fact I was driving to Arby's today for lunch and I saw a mail truck missing his entire driver side wheel. He f-ed up traffic pretty bad and caused an accident that stopped all movement for miles and miles. Fortunately it was southbound and I was going north and luckily knew another route back to work. But yea that old mac you have could be used for something similar.

5. You wouldn't need to worry about malware, but a lot of sites won't even work with IE5.

And OS X wouldn't run on that. It's over a decade old. That would be like trying to run Vista on a Windows 98 computer...

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Yeah but to be fair Vista probably wouldn't run on most modern PCs. :brow:

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

My understanding is that OS9 was a huge PITA. There's a reason it was a gift.

Build a pet robot and use it for the head.

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Put it on ebay. Seriously. There are Mac collectors out there that will pay something for it.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i wouldn't use it as anything other than a word processor
    OS9 "Classic" feels a little like Win95, it works but it's clunky
    if it has a DVD-rom in it, it's highest purpose is probably a DVD player

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Why don't you donate it to Teen Challenge, The Junior League, or a church? There might be some kid that could really use it for typing up their book reports or something... that's what I would do.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar