Someone explain this to me..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Dec 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

We got to comfortable spotting teams 10,14, and even 17 pts before the "oh sh*t" factor kicked in, its like it became the norm to play from behind. You can't do that every week and expect to win. Yea it feels good to know we can come back from a deficit but I knew and most of us would agree that eventually we were gonna play a team that kept their foot down and unfortunately it was the Jags. The Jags basically flipped the script of how our first meeting went down.

2. Doc

Doc Pro Bowler

Everyone is pissed we lost to the Jags but face it, in spite of the record, the Jags have an amazing roster and we're being coached like **** by Gus all season. He got fired and the rest is history. Yes, we should have won but let's not pretend we were playing the Browns.

3. Doc

Doc Pro Bowler

Not to mention, we have Blake. How it took a team this long to realize all they need to do is throw 99% of the time his way to win is beyond me.

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. SoCalTitan867

SoCalTitan867 Starter

I don't see it as being a non-issue. But I pretty much expected it. The team is very young and despite Mularkey getting them to at least 8 wins this season I'm not confident he's the man for the job. They needed to show up in a big way yesterday and didn't. That falls on him. I guess I'm just happy football season lasted well into December this year. That was a pleasant surprise.

• Cheers Cheers x 3
  5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Starter

Winners win. Losers lose.

• Boring Boring x 1
  6. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

It falls just as much in Mariota for missing passes, the WRs for not getting open, and the defense rolling over for a terrible offense. This was a team loss and no one gets a pass. Coaches, or players.

This is why you never, ever take a division game lightly. Anything can happen within the division.

We will have more talent and we will be better next season.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Totally agree, and I do not think that your view is in the "minority"...maybe just the minority of folks posting stuff here all of the time.

I expected 5-7 wins this season, skewing more towards the 5. This team overachieved for the majority of the season, and the Hags fully exposed our glaring weakness (secondary) yesterday. Overall I am happy with our season here, put alot of that on JRob as well. I really do look forward to the draft, and seeing what we do to shore up our weaknesses on D.

That said, I still believe that, in the end, our on field coaching staff will hold us back. Mularkey is just not going to get us to that next level IMO...we will improve, but I just think that our upside is on the high end of mediocre with him as HC.

I just hope that our executive management folks recognize this as well before too much tread leaves MM's and DH's tires in the future...that would be truly sad if allowed to occur.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. kenny

kenny Starter

From what I saw in Jags game I am not sure that the Titans would've been close to beating the Texans TBH.

Mularkey plays games to not lose. He never has that killer, play to win, attitude. He is more concerned about running out the clock.

Until we get a real HC we are most likely topped out. We had a beatable team just OUTCOACH & beat us into the dirt. The Jags have won 2 games all year. I know record does not mean much, but Mularkey did not have his team ready to play. They had a light practice week and it showed BIG TIME. The offense had no rhythm and both sides of the ball were moving slower than hell. The defense could not stop a HS team.

Mularkey allowed this team to take the Jags lightly. I do not care what anyone says. This team thought they were going into a cake walk & got beat down. It completely pisses me off.

I am sorry & I know I will catch hell from some for saying it; but Mularkey did not have his team prepared to play. That has been the case far too often this year in big games against the Colts & Texans. Now we do the same against the Jags. In all 3 games the offense & defense looked completely lost.

Mularkey continually says "I do not have to tell these guy anything. They know how important it is to be ready every week." OBVIOUSLY that is not the case.

Even the Oline, which has been solid most of the year; looked HORRIBLE. It's a product of not practicing hard, Not playing hard, and not focusing on your opponent. Even Mularkey admitted, "For whatever reason, they did not play with much energy today." As the HC if you do not know why they did not play with energy; how are you going to fix it!!

This is his M.O. He has been the same everywhere he has been. He will take a team to mediocre. We have had enough years of that with Fisher & Munch.

Improving to 8 wins is great. However, having a chance to get into the playoffs & the team coming out completely unprepared & uninspired to play is unacceptable! I do not care who thought we were not going to contend this year. We were contending. We had a shot. A compete lack of respect for the opponent, failure to play hard, and a HORRIBLE game plan cost us the playoffs. NOTHING else.

The improvements made thus far this year can be attributed to the improved roster. I have not one ounce of faith in Mularkey actually coaching this team to ANY wins. Thus far he has shown me far more games with questionable play calling & game plans; than ANY games where we came out and played to win the game.

The one game that comes to mind is the GB game. We really took it to them. Then the following week we came out & completely altered our attack. We got beat down. That has continued. We beat Denver & KC with fluke wins. The players & HC even said, "Things bounced our way".

Maybe I am just still too pissed about the EMBARRASSING beat own we just got from a 2 win team. Maybe I am not giving Mularkey the credit he deserves. Any way it goes; I will have faith in Mike Mularkey when he proves to me he can get the team ready to play 16 games. NOT 8. He certainly didn't do that this year IMO.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

2 things.

Running the clock out in the 4th when you're ahead is a very common practice. This isn't some "against the mold" strategy. When we see it almost backfire, it brings back Fisher memories. I don't like it more than anyone else but teams do this every week.

Another thing, Mularkey has not played to lose. He has been conservative at times and has gone risky plays sometimes. Calling for a 2 point conversation against a playoff team in their home isn't "playing not to lose." It's the exact opposite. The onside kick at the beginning of the game?

He takes it by a game by game basis.

Nothing is due to Mularkey? Incorrect. He hired our offensive line coach. Thst within itself is something he did.

I don't want to go overboard defending Mularkey because it's not like I think he's some amazing coach.

Hes just not as bad as people are making him out to be.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'd be less pissed if we didn't absolutely unprepared, unmotivated and incapabpke of executing or making adjustments. Same chit we see when the Colts keep kicking our azz. We're the division b|tches. No way around it until we achieve some division wins. I think we've had one relevant division win in 6-7 years.

F&ck every one of these lame coaches and players for not having their chit together for the most important game in a nearly decade to get the team to the playoffs. And that unpreparedness got our franchise QB a broken leg.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar