Someone enlighten me on this "hater" term

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I didn't say hating is bad. Everyone hates on something...

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I hates on hating.

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Depends on the person. Some people resent being called on there attitudes. Some people, like me, accept it for what it is. Just a natural inclination for most peoples. :grrr:

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think for football forum usage hating or being a hater or whatever is what Mr E. brings when he's talking about his favorite quarterback. All this hanging out at the mall and chewing bubble gum stuff is taking hater way out of what it needs to be or it is just played out and annoying.

I think being a hater is something you pretty much own up to.
    Calling somebody a hater when it's just because you can not think of anything valid just gets on peoples nerves. That's the hater defense. It doesn't make them mad. I don't think I've ever encountered a poster that was upset at it. It's really just kinda pretty much, I'm trying to be a good team mate here, :ha:
    Above all the "hater defense" is the worst argument ever.
    Just ask this guy...
    [​IMG]

actual gotitans.com user

For real though, hating on a player is pretty much just riding them and trash talking their game without being able to support a valid argument, at least for long. I suppose there needs to be some gray term for homer that is to the effect of spoonfed love for a player despite pretty much whatever.

For instance take Reynaldo Hill...if he were to say, I don't know, hijack an airplane... odds are the only thing Gunny is going to worry about is whether he was still going to start...what do you call that? Devoted? Not very good...

Jock rider? :lol3: That's great...so if somebody just blurts...hater!
    Can you respond and be like: What, jock rider?

Not that I would but it seems fair...
    Besides, anybody crying "hater" ought to be able to take jock rider?

Surly.

[​IMG]

...and quit calling me Shirley!!!

5. :))
    Hey BiPolar, I couldn't resist this one. I am not disputing or agreeing with anything, just attempting more WU dry humor: OK, here goes:

Since I used to change Andre's diapers, the description above would make me the all time kingJock Changer:rotfl: :cool2:

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

you cant ban the term hater, what else will elfinmagic53 have to say?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hater, an over used, emotional term...

It's a strong word that should only be applied to posts that are over the top or irrational. I was called a mcnair hater and basher for simply rating him third among nfl QBs instead of first. I was accused of being an andre woolfolk hater simply because i suggested he wasn't a great draft pick. Well everyone knows that.

If it is the truth it is not hate. If it is rational it can't really be hate. So i think it is a term that should not be used very often.

At the same time we wouldn't want to reduce the spitited debate that exists on these boards. This is the best titans forum on the net for a reason and spirited banter, bustings balls as a new yorker might put it is a part of sports debate.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I agree. But I attempt to dance a fine line between spirited debating and personal insults in this forum. An articulate person can debate most anything without insulting the person they are debating. To resort to insult usually means one lacks the ammo to back their opinion on a subject and trys to compensate for that by focusing on the person they are debating.

I don't see the need for one poster to call another a "hater" in the context of what has been explained to me here and am considering adding it to what is defined as a personal insult or name-calling.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree, ban the use of it simply because it will force a person to debate instead of having a quick response to a post they didn't like. IMO it is overly strong to call someone a "hater" just because they have an objective opinion even though another might not agree with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar