Some thoughts on the Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Some thoughts on the Titans as free agency approaches …

–The Titans are still trying to keep tight end Jared Cook from leaving. Despite not placing the franchise tag on him, I expect the two sides to continue to talk about a long-term contract leading up to March 12, the start of free agency. The two sides haven’t been close on money to this point, however, and other teams are waiting with more.

–I expect the Titans to work out a long-term deal with kicker Rob Bironas at some point. The Titans want him back, and Bironas wants to remain in Tennessee. That scenario hasn’t produced a deal for Cook, but I think it will for Bironas.

–Defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks will be a hot commodity if he hits the market, and right now it looks like that will be a free agent. The Titans say they want to re-sign Marks, but the two sides aren’t close to a deal at this point.

–Return man Darius Reynaud is a player the Titans should re-sign, but not overpay for him.

–I can’t see offensive linemen Steve Hutchinson and Eugene Amano in the team’s plans for 2013. Both are coming off season-ending surgeries, and are scheduled to make $3.94 million and $4.75 million, respectively.

–The Titans will be aggressive early in free agency in trying to find at least one quality offensive lineman. Bills guard Andy Levitre will be one of their targets, though he’s expected to get plenty of attention on the market.

–Veteran quarterback Matt Hasselbeck has said he’s willing to re-do his contract, and with a $5.5 million base salary, he’s going to have to take a pay cut. Starter Jake Locker is only scheduled to make $1.519 million this fall.

–The Titans are going to make a tender offer to restricted free agent Fernando Velasco. They should make sure another team doesn’t get him. He was accountable, durable and solid when he finally got a chance to start in 2012.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Analysis, Commentary, League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Sounds good to me

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

YES! Those 3 things are a MUST.

As far as the other things, I could care less if Reynauld returns. He's a good returner, but Marc Mariani is just as good and will be back. Reynauld wouldn't of even made the team if Marc didn't get hurt, lets be honest. Marc may not be flashy, but he hardly ever muffs a return and gets consistent yards - Reynauld... he'll muff a punt or 2, make some questionable return decisions, but will bust a couple for a TD.

Marks - let him go. We already have 3 3-tech DTs on our roster. More playing time for Klug/Martin is needed. Marks was trash his entire career, until his contract year... weird how that happens. Pickup a big 0-tech NT for run support via draft or free agency.

Levitre - I want Levitre, but don't seriously overpay the dude. He's good, but not elite. There's plenty of options in the draft/FA that we can go if he's wanting crazy money. You can pay the dude still - just don't make some crazy elite OG offer.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Just Win Baby

Just Win Baby Starter

I've been saying Hutch will "retire" or be cut, and Amano will be gone as well. They make way too much money for mediocre and piss poor production, respectively. But nothing surprises me anymore with this organization.

Cook will be gone. Someone is going to overpay him bigtime.

As for Velasco, he looked OK to me last year. I believe the Titans will tender him as to not lose him (quality depth), but I still believe we draft a center this year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. The Hammer

Sign Leodi McKelvin to be the NB and let him return too.

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Let Harris walk, cut Amano & Hutchinson. That's losing 3 OGs. I hope we draft one in round 1, and sign a good one in FA. Levitre would be awesome but I won't hold my breath.

8. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Its hilarious that our back up qb is making more than our starter. I bet we are the only team with this issue lol. Also unfortunately I dont see us cutting amano. Munchak has too much pride in his abilities to fix the line from within!

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I bet Matt Flynn is making more than Russell Wilson

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. The Hammer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar