Some "going to the game" advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carpy, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Getting pumped for the Steelers game next week which will be my first live Titans game.

Few questions (sorry if this is a duplicate of PMs I have sent out to some of you). I know Jeff was going to catch some of this stuff in a separate forum, but I can't find it, so here goes.

1. I'm staying at the Homewood Suites downtown. What is the best way to get to the field - walk or cab? How long is the walk (best measured in beers)

2. Will be in Nashville for a couple of nights. Any recommendations on family-friendly restaurants within walking distance from the hotel?

3. Are there any restrictions on what I can and can't take into the stadium on game day? Are video cameras allowed?

4. My Wife and 3 kids (all under 9) are looking for something to do in the downtown area while I am off enjoying the Titans game. Any recommendations? BiP suggested the General Jackson cruise which my wife is looking into. Any more thoughts on this or other recommendations would be welcome.

5. Where is the best place to get Titans merchandise? Is the gear at the stadium competitively priced?

Thanks,
    Carpy

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I believe we started a thread on this as a sticky but we can add to this for sure.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

The Zoo would probably only cost about $40 return by cab from your Hotel. I thought it was quite a good afternoon out.

We also enjoyed the Old Spaghetti Factory as a family style restaurant that didn't break the bank.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I'd recommend walking across the bridge to the game -- just follow the crowd. It's about 1/2 mile. If your whole family is attending and you don't think they'd be up for the walk, there may still be a shuttle that runs from the Wildhorse (on Second Avenue near Commerce Street).

Demos' (on Third Avenue near Commerce) is one downtown restaurant that's family-friendly and not expensive. Service is fast. Baja Burrito on Fourth Avenue (between Church and Commerce) is another inexpensive option -- no beer. You might also want to stroll around Lower Broad with the family and eat barbeque at Jack's. A more upscale -- but still family-friendly -- restaurant is Monell's. The closest one to your hotel is on Sixth Avenue, but it's a short cab ride, not a walk. Most of these have a Web site, so you can Google them and probably look at the menus.

You can take a still camera to the game, but not a video cam.

If you like NHL, our Predators are hosting the New York Islanders Saturday, the 20th. If I have a few minutes to see what else is going on then, I'll update.

I haven't bought anything from the Pro Shop at LP Field this year, but it's usually a little more expensive -- but the selection is also better. If you get to a suburban area, The Mall at Green Hills has Dillards's and Sport Seasons, both of which sell Titans gear. Probably some other stores there do as well.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

not sure I could recommend anything for wife and kids to do for 3 hours downtown
    but if they can get out to the Opryland Hotel, their Christmas decorating is some of the best anywhere

right next door is ICE! (at the old Gaslight theater)
    there's also the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular (at the Grand Ole Opry)
    these are both a parking lot away from the Opry Mills Mall (at that end of the mall is a Dave and Busters (games) and an IMAX theater .. then there's that whole shopping thing

I'm not sure the General Jackson runs during the day (at least on game days) ... it probably wouldn't be much fun for the kids anyway

if it isn't raining, there's a Skate park one exit up from the Opry Mills mall, where it's usually packed with skateboards and BMX bikes ... it's part of Two Rivers park, which is also home to a frisbee golf cours as well as a municipal golf course

there's really not much to do downtown except maybe going to the TN State museum or the Library (which is pretty nice)

another option in the immediate areas surrounding downtown would be the Adventure Science Museum and Centennial Park where the only full sized replica of the Greek Parthenon stands, inside is a statue of Athena, which is billed as the tallest indoor statue in the world (at least it used to be before Dubai went nuts)

really, the best bet is for them to head over to the Opry Mills mall, where they'll easily stay occupied for 3 1/2 hours ... especially if they go to an IMAX show

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

You can find more information on "Ice" at http://www.wefrozethegrinch.com.

Rockettes will be at the Opry House through December 28th.

Nashville Ballet's Nutcracker will be December 19--21 at Tennessee Performing Arts Center (Deaderick between Fifth and Sixth). Local celebs play the part of Mother Ginger -- including Erron Kinney and Ben Troupe in past years.

The Opry will be at the Ryman this month (on Fifth between Commerce and Broad).

Handel's Messiah will be performed by the Symphony December 18--20 (on Fourth Avenue South -- Symphony Place -- between Demonbreun and Shelby).

Trans-Siberian Orchestra performs the afternoon and night of December 21st at the Sommet Center (Broad between Fourth and Fifth) -- where the Predators play.

Sudekum Planetarium (800 Fort Negley Blvd.) will be showing "Ice Worlds" (icy voyage through Antarctica and other polar regions).

By the way, if you go to Monell's (in the Germantown area), Michael Roos' wife runs Drinkhaus Espresso and Tea (on Madison at the corner of Fifth).

P.S. You might want to take a peek at "America's Best Restroom" this year -- the mens' room at the Hermitage Hotel (on Sixth between Church and Union).

[​IMG]

7. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

If its cold make sure you get a few hard drinks in you to stay warm :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar