Solomon transitioning from DE to LB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

A defensive end as a rookie last season, Scott Solomon is now in the process of switching to the strong-side linebacker position.

He practiced almost exclusively at that spot during Friday’s OTA session.

“It was (the Titans’) idea, but I like it a lot,” said Solomon, a seventh-round draft pick in 2012. “I’m really enjoying it. It’s different and fun, so I’m having fun with it.”

Solomon was on the field for 15 percent of the Titans’ defensive snaps in 2012, recording nine tackles and zero sacks. The Titans have more depth at defensive end now, with the signing of Ropati Pitoitua, the re-signing of Keyunta Dawson (who was hurt most of last year) and the drafting of Lavar Edwards.

Solomon says the pass-rushing concepts are similar at defensive end and at linebacker, but he’s still a work in progress in one other area.

“The pass coverage stuff is totally different and something I’m not used to,” Solomon said. “As a defensive end, we would only do it a couple of times, so that’s a big change. But I’m doing everything I can to get the playbook down.”

Solomon isn’t the only player who’ll see time at a different position during the OTAs and in training camp. Karl Klug, who was a defensive tackle in his first two seasons, played primarily defensive end in Friday’s session.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. BCTitans

BCTitans Starter

Meh. I could be wrong, but I don't see that working out.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He's 270 lbs and ran a 4.88 40 at the combine.

Unless we are switching to a 3-4 i don't see that and he wouldn't be good for that.

I think they like him as a kid and know he will likely not make the team as a DE. He had no sacks in 15% of our snaps. So they are hoping he can drop a few lbs and be a strong run defending linebacker.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Solomon transitioning from LB to ST by week 1

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

More like practice squad

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

although I would hope for RTs secnario I know Hammers is more likley

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Can we just cut this guy? I can't ever remember his name and it bugs me. I always want to call him Rick Solomon.

[​IMG]

8. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I thought Solomon got crushed by an elephant a few weeks back?

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I just do not see this guy making the team

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Me neither. Seventh rounder. Most do not make it in the long run anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar