So as Titans fans...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

So as Titans fans what do you feel is the best next step for the team?

Before all the bickering starts, please respect everyone's opinions and lets remember that we're all TITANS fans first. We want what we think is best for the team however our opinions might differ.

What do you feel like we should do at coach, QB, and on defense? We're all a lot more complex than Fisher or Young so what do you think is best for the team? I think we've all seen how powerful the media has become in this new age and if we want to have any say (we are part of the media) we should come to a consensus as fans based on reason and stats and let the owner, organization, and players know. I'm sure many of them read these threads so your input matters.

What direction should the Titans go? Keep it classy.

2. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Step 1: Hire Perry Fewell as our new Head Coach.

Perry is perfect for us, he brings great energy and a skill to get the best out of his players. He would bring new optimism to Tennessee and reinvigorate our team. He has a great resume and has been an NFL coach for a long time now. He is still only 48 and has his best coaching years ahead of him. He would also fill up the DC spot possibly with himself as he has run a 4-3 defence in NY this year.

Step 2: Sign Donovan McNabb

We need a veteran QB and Donovan is just that. He will bring consistancy to the QB position which we have not had and has been one of our downfalls and he also has the ability to coach up any rookie QB we might get. He would start next season and provide a consistant presence until our new QB is ready.

Step 3: Free Agency: We need to add in free agency and resign in free agency. We need a safety, more help on our defensive line and more help on our offensive line. We could use an SS like Dawan Landry because Chris Hope missed a billion tackles this year or maybe Bernard Pollard. Albert Haynesworth is a possibility but with Fish and Wash out it looks more unlikely. We could grab some people on the offensive line.

But we need to resign some key players: Jason Babin, Stephen Tulloch, Ahmard Hall and Tim Shaw. All of these players are key to the core of our team and are needed to help with the rebuilding process. Especially Babin who has come up with a stellar pro bowl year and his signing is key if we don't want to use up another early draft pick on a DE.

Step 4: The Draft, my mock draft is as follows:

Rd 1- Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
    Rd 2- Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
    Rd 3- Christian Ponder QB FSU
    Rd 4- Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU
    Rd 5- Joe Lefeged SS Rutgers
    Rd 6- Zach Hurd OG UConn
    Rd 7- Allen Bradford RB USC

All of these guys would push for a place in our team:

Prince could be a shutdown corner and leave Finnegan and Verner to be more aggresive in their style of play.

Austin would fill up the holes in our defensive line and help against both the run and passing plays.

Ponder would be the developmental rookie QB who can learn from a vet and progress into a starter.

Sheppard would challenge for a place at linebacker. He is a great leader and a sure tackler and would instantly help our team.

Lefeged is a solid SS and is good against the run and pretty good in coverage. He is a good tackler and would not miss as many tackles as say.....Chris Hope. He would challenge for a place with Rolle.

Hurd is a big OG, he has the ability and size to play all across the line and could be a starter at guard for us with Leroy Harris being terrible last season.

Allen Bradford would be CJ's relief guy and our short down back. He is a big back, like Blount, and would be used for goal line situations and short yardage situations. He is definately the type of back we need to relieve CJ some of the strain and create more of a power back/quick back combo like when LenDale was here.

THIS IS HOW WE FIX THE TENNESSEE TITANS.

• High Five High Five x 5
  3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I'd be happy as a Titans fan if that were to happen.

4. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

They, we, need a leader first. That's why I would lean to bringing in a Cowher or a Gruden over Munchak. I think its worth the money. I know Bud bleeds Oiler Blue but, the objective is to win games and a couple of Super Bowls, not loyalty. The proven coaching experience goes in favor of Cowher, McGinnis and Gruden.
    The QB solution can be tricky. Do you draft one with Rusty sitting in the wings? Will there be a QB available in the draft who can start? I'm thinking they will keep Collins and Rusty and add a veteran until Rusty is ready. The 'possible' strike is going to have an effect on this.
    Our defense will have to be a high priority in the draft. Free agents will have to be brought in and a few defensive players are going to get their feelings hurt. Do you keep Babins for the money? (What would you spend to keep him). Can we get Fat Al back? I hope so, and I think he'll come cheap. Things to think about; Will the next head coach want to keep the 3-4 defense? Will he spend money to keep players like Babin and Tullock? Some people are saying we need to beef-up our offensive line, is that another direction?

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Good post...I'll post both what I think should be done, and what I think will be done...

I think we should go outside the organization with the head coach hire. I would love to see Perry Fewell given a shot. I think at Qb, we need to one in the draft to develop and a veteran. I would trade back into the late 2nd and get Ponder, and grab a veteran, most will not like this, but I would bring in Chad Pennington (assuming his shoulder checks out). He is a great leader, and would be able to pass a lot of information down to Ponder. Ponder in my opinion is a more mobile version of Chad, so he would be perfect to learn under him. One thing this team desperately needs is veteran leadership. That was what hurt the most when Bullock, KVB, and Mawae left. Their onfield production could be replaced, at least for the most part, but what they brought to the locker room was undervalued in my opinion.

What I think will happen, Munch will be named head coach, they will bring back Kerry Collins as the veteran and draft a rookie QB to learn under him. I also think they take Blaine Gabbert in round 1 if he is there. The one question I have is about defensive coordinator. I am still holding out hope, that even if Munch is hired they go outside the organization for that hire.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Well said and thought out post....I agree with everything you said. McNabb is the QB I want this offseason, but the reason I went away from him is because of the contract he will likely ask for. I like keeping our options open for next years draft on the off chance that Luck, Barkley or Jones (if they all come out) slide to us. But as I said, if we got McNabb I would not be the least bit disappointed.

7. fitantitans

"Ponder would be the developmental rookie QB who can learn from a vet and progress into a starter."
    What about Rusty? Or, draft Ponder (or some other rookie QB) and have them compete for the role? I don't see bringing is another rookie QB unless he's ready to start.

8. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Underwood and Reinfeldt said they are going to bring in a rookie as well as a vet so we will see a rookie coming in. Whether Rusty does mould into a starter remains to be seen but we're getting a rookie so why not grab a guy like Ponder who is one of the few quarterbacks in this years draft that actually has some pocket awareness.

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Ponder would compete with Rusty, but he comes in more ready the Rusty is. The only advantage Rusty has is his arm strength. Ponder has more accuracy, more mobility, makes good quick decisions....if he didn't have the health questions he would be rated as the #1 QB in this draft. The year the Packers got Matt Flynn, they took 2 QBs in the draft, Brian Brohm was taken earlier in that draft. They let them battle it out. Competition would be good, Id much rather see Rusty have to earn the #2 spot, same with Ponder or any other rookie we draft.

10. fitantitans

Ponder looks good but, my point is, do we need him? You have a starter (a vet to be signed later), a backup (Collins) and a rookie (Rusty) watching the whole thing and learning. Rusty was pushed into action sooner than he should have been but, he's got an arm on him. Do you see the Titans retaining 4 QBs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar