Slimmer Morgan ready for new roles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

As recently as last month, Titans defensive end Derrick Morgan was listed as weighing 278 pounds.

But he said he expects to play this season at about 265, in hopes of increasing his speed and quickness.

“I’ve dropped a few pounds and I’m feeling a little better,” Morgan said Wednesday. “(Pass-rushing coach Keith Millard) was saying it would probably be beneficial to drop a little weight so you can move a little more, be a little more agile, a little more quick. It’s helped me out in OTAs and my training as well.”

Morgan had the best season of his career last year, posting 66 tackles, 6.5 sacks and five tackles for loss. But he also was on the field for more than 900 snaps, a figure the Titans hope to reduce this year.

One possibility the Titans may explore is rotating Morgan and Kamerion Wimbley on early downs, and then putting both players on the field in pass-rushing situations. Morgan may also see some time at right end, in addition to the left end spot where he’s most often played.

“I think (more production) is the thinking behind it,” Morgan said of cutting back his snaps this year. “I think the limited snaps might help or it might not. Regardless, I think I’ve improved and I’m going to have a better year.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

Attached Files:

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I have always thought he might be a tad too heavy and an extra burst might help him out.

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Good cut. 265 is still big. 280 was a tad much

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ive always viewed Kearse as the prototypical DE in todays game, any DE 260-270 is IMO what you hope your guys are.

5. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Time for Morgan to deliver! He needs to live up to his draft stock.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Morgan is about to have a break out year.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I could see Morgan contending for a pro bowl spot this year

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

That's what I'm thinking. I'm glad to see more people jumping on board the Morgan train. I'm the conductor and the passenger cars were a little empty for a while.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

BTW this Morgan avatar jersey needs to change to #91 already. It's been over a year since he changed it.

10. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

Lol for awhile I've felt it was mostly just us two from WI that had faith. I feel if anyone deserves the negativity its Wimbley. Morgan is clearly our best lineman!

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar