Sirmon Asks Titans for Release

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: LB Peter Sirmon has requested the Titans release him via a fax to GM Floyd Reese. "I have enjoyed my time here in Tennessee, but with the uncertainty surrounding my situation with the Titans, I think it’s best to turn the page and move on with my career," Sirmon said. The Titans signed David Thornton this week who would likely play in Sirmon's position. There has been some speculation of moving Sirmon to the middle which would mean less playing time because of the amount of use of the nickel formation. "I have no problem at all competing for a position, if it’s a true competition", said Sirmon. "I have complete confidence in my abilities to do so, but I also know how the business works sometimes if you’re the odd man out or you’re a player who is only on the field for 30 or 40 percent of the snaps." Sirmon has one year remaining on his contract with a cap hit of $4.6 million, including a base of $2.4 million, the amount that would be saved if the Titans grant his request.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Bad move Pete.

3. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I'm stunned. I don't know why. Pete seems like a proud guy, I guess it makes sense that he would want to get more playing time. I think it sucks. But after last year, I almost don't care who they cut or who wants off this team.
    I like Pete and I wish him well in the future. I love getting the 2.4 million back though.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Make him pay the remaining CAP value of his SB bonus back. I think that would be added back to the current CAP

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Must be why you wanna pack up and run from the competition.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yep. I'm surprised as well. Anyway, get that kind of attitude out of the locker room.

Any ideas on his trade value?

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

hopefully a 3rd. :brow:

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:wave: uh, you're not good enough to ask to be released.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

$2.4 - Help sign Hope.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I can understand Sirmon wanting to make the move now but I don't care for him asking for this through the media. He's lost his position and the Titans appear ready to bring someone in there too. Reynolds should be ready to step in at some point so the writing is on the wall for him and chances are he might be released at some point anyway.

Maybe Reese can shop him around a bit. Anyone have a #2 safety with experience who might need him? I'd take a fourth-rounder for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar