Since I'm new here, what's the opinion on Volek?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VOR, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

If he is the starting QB this yr his morale should go sky high this yr. But one mistake and the fans will be chanting Young (which shouldn't happen but will) I am sure he got disappointed last yr to take all the snaps at practice week after week then to have McNair start. But that is part of being a backup

2. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

No thats Steve doing his normal no practice during the week but decides on gameday that he's fine to go. And the fans wonder why he can't hit anyone besides the Tightends. Hard to develope chemistry if you can't ever practice with the new receivers, maybe it's just me though.:banned:

3. Luke

Luke Camp Fodder

If Billy is indeed the starting QB when the first game rolls around, I don't think that will be the case. Everyone knows that Vince needs his time and Fisher is going to make sure the fans know that he will sit at least the first year. Hopefully Mauck can also be counted on this year with him being in the Chow system for almost a year now.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

Volek is a very solid backup QB, but lacks the durability necessary to be a starter for any length of time. How bad is it?

Volek has something like 12 career starts. In those games, he's been knocked out of four games with injuries, two of which were season-ending injuries. (Ruptured spleen in 2003, and a separated throwing shoulder in '04.)

Now, I'll give credit where credit is due....Volek is probably one of the top deep-ball passers in the league. I mean, when he airs it out, it's beautiful.

Unfortunately, he has a tendency to float the ball on short- and mid-range passes, putting just a bit too much air under it, which gives defenders an extra step or two to make a play on the ball. This is particularly dangerous on short sideline passes and slants. Volek doesn't throw a lot of INT's, but when he does, they're usually in very dangerous spots, and about half of them are returned for TD's.

Don't get me wrong....I like Volek, I really do. He's a very good backup, but IMO, he'll never be a long-term starter in the NFL.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I think with an improved running game, Volek is a viable option for us this season. I'd still rather have McNair and Volek both, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar