Silver linings and storm clouds: Tennessee

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Numbers that bode well, and maybe not so well, for the Tennessee Titans...
    Silver linings[​IMG]: A team renowned for keeping things close and embracing narrow wins has the NFL's top points per game differential -- it's winning by an average of 14.3 points.
    The Titans have been fantastic in the red zone on offense -- seven touchdowns in eight possessions -- and on defense -- three touchdowns in 12 trips.
    Tennessee is allowing only 14 first downs a game... The Titans have allowed only two sacks, one per every 35.5 pass plays... Tennessee is tops in the NFL with interceptions on 7 percent of opponents' pass attempts.
    Storm clouds: Kickoff return coverage is an issue, as the Titans are allowing an average drive start of the 30.1-yard line.
    The first-down defense is allowing an average of 5.94 yards.
    Tight end Alge Crumpler, signed to be a security blanket and reliable outlet for the passing game, has only five catches for three games.

More...

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

If those are our biggest problems, I'll take them.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I really want to see Alge more involved in the offense. I realize he's blocking (and doing an amazing job) but we did sign him to get us some points. He should be a BIG endzone threat.

4. T Atlas

T Atlas Guest

Well written article, interesting statistics.

5. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Interesting (shocking) that we lead the league in victory margin. :spud:

I will eat my empty beer can if we can sustain that for a few more months...:beerbang:

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

More impressive is our redzone efficiency.

7. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

beautiful, 8 for 8 in the redzone leads the league. Damn and hoge says we will go 8-8 GET THE Bleeeeep Out.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

yeah we lead in that category and Minnesota is worst in the league!

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm pretty confident kick coverage will settle down. I'm a little more concerned with Crumpler... we do need him to be a factor. Alge's problem might be a result of a good thing, though. We're getting the job done in the redzone on the ground, and we've been seeing more production from the WRs. For all we know KC and Dinger want to establish some rhythm with Gage/JMac before we hit crunch time in the season. Hopefully as we head into Oct & Nov we'll start seeing more Crumpler. Could very well be trying to limit his touches just to ensure he's healthy when we need him.

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Perhaps I'm wrong but I really get the feeling sometimes that perhaps we're not opening up the entire playbook... I expect(ed) to see CJ in the slot a lot more and catching a lot more balls on out routs/slants/screens etc. I also expected to see Alge trying to stretch the field vertically and horizontally quite a bit more then I do. Granted Crump has played a direct role in our success on the ground with his run blocking (dude is a beast, I never realized how massive he was until I saw him live), I expect(ed) him to be a big time threat in the passing game too. I get the impression that maybe Fish and Dinger are just kind of keeping an ace up their sleeve in those respects for the event that we need them, why give an upcoming opponent something to gameplan against if we don't really need to give them that look... just a thought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar