SI Ranks Britt Top 20

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This is a fu*&!n' awesome post 89, the kid is so MONEY!. Hate it or love it, the kid is golden.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Sorry. I think it has been obvious to the fans for much longer than last year that we need a WR. I think 90% of the people here would agree.

It was in the last year that the media brought this heat, telling Fisher he wasn't going to get it done without a WR. And it was the fans that drove that discussion in the local media for years, and it leaked to the national media, and they forced the issue.

There were a ton of WR's in the previous draft. We passed on ALL of them. ALL of them. There were 5 or 6. The Titans were delusional. For years, the fans have been demanding a WR. It wasn't until the embarassment of the last draft that the outsiders put the question to the Titans as to why. Nobody could understnad the thinking. It was the fans outrage that brought it to light.

There was no reason to believe the Titans would draft a legitimate WR at anytime in the last 5 years or in the forseeable future. Yet, we did. If you have followed Jeff Fisher's entire career you'd know that he caves to media pressure at the precipice of being fired. It may take a lot pressure, as evidenced here, but he will not let it blow up his career. Because he knows if you don't, you get fired. The pressure was on in the last draft. Britt was taken early, why, the pressure to take one.

For anyone to think the Fans do not influence draft picks is is borderline insane. We buy the tickets. I assure you the NFL is a business first. That's why qb's are taken early. The league is about entertainment first, superbowl second when it comes to high picks. The fans demand 'em. Are you going to tell me that is not true? There is a lot of pressure to draft skill players and the teams cave to that pressure. Sometimes that is for the betterment of the team. Sometimes not. But it drives ticket sales.

The Broadcasters, the media, and fans kept telling Fisher that if he did not draft a WR then he as a coach would fail again. I recall the playoff game last year, and that's all anyone in the broadcast booth talked about. No WR. Plain and simple. The Titans have known this for years, but it wasn't until last years debacle that the media called him out on it before, during, and after games. I don't think there was any notion that the Titans would draft a WR without fan pressure. Have you seen one? Not me. Until they got called out. The Fans have been asking or a WR for years and the tipping point hit last year. The whole thing was driven by the fans, who the media write for.

It was the fans who woke everyone up finally. I think you are sadly mistaken to think the Britt pick was not driven from the outside.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If anyone thinks that fans influence decisions from the front office is gravely mistaken.

4. gkgtchey

gkgtchey Camp Fodder

Two words BRANDON MARSHALL!
    he wants out, they will prob want a first rd for him, hes worth it!! pull the trigger!!

for those of you that say hes a bad guy, I blame Josh McDaniels for being on a power trip

5. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Not even trying to stick up for Fisher or the drafting calls for the last couple years....but look at some of the WR's for the last 3 years, that in theory, the Titans should have drafted with their 1st pick or so.

2007....you had a decent WR draft bunch, but the top of the class was Megatron(Calvin) at #1....looking at it now, none of the other guys we could have picked at the 19th picked has stood out in their career so far aside from Bowe and Gonzales. It took 3 years for Meachem(Which alot of fans, and analyst wanted) to finally break out and how much is that because he has Brees throwing to him?

Titans drafted Griffin that year, so would you really want Bowe, Gonzales or Meachem over him??

2008...well that year is pretty self explanatory...this is the year everyone was begging for the Titans to draft a WR to help Young progress and have a weapon. Good group of WR's to draft 1st or 2nd rd...but all of those big name guys all dropped to the 2nd rd, so Titans had all to choose at # 24...well we pick another running back...and almost 90% of the football world thought the Titans failed with that pick...2 years later that back is a 2K runner.

Choices for that pick instead would have been Desean, D.Thomas, Royal or the coveted Sweed. Looking at those guys only Desean and slightly Royal have had flourishing careers so far. And Desean dropped big time in the draft, so every team that year made a mistake. But I wouldnt trade CJ for Desean at all, specially after DJ's display in the playoff game saturday and totally disappearing.

Sorry Titans nailed it that year with drafting CJ, I dont remember what thier grade was that year but looking at guys like Hayes and Jones + CJ makes that draft an A+....and Hawkins was not a bad pick at Rd 4.

2009? I think the Titans got lucky, Giants went with Nicks, which put Britt right in the Titans hands. Considering that they picked at #30...Britt was the best player on the board for 1st rd anyway.

And of all the 1st rd guys, I dont think anyone really seperated as far as WR, Harvin did great with a HOF QB, Nicks was a playmaker, Crabtree probably could have stood out if he started the season, and Maclin had a good rookie year.

I hate to say it but yea we had to wait the 3 years to finally see a good rookie WR, but now looking at the other players we could have took and what we did take, I wouldnt change the draft picks.

Aside from taking Steve Smith instead of Chris (WHO???) Henry in the 2nd rd of 2007, now that one I totally agree Titans screwed up.

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Britt had a great rookie season. I will never understand how he did not EARN the starting wr job. At the end of the year he is listed as the 3. This is the stuff that really bothers some of us about fisher. Britt is going to be a very good player here for a long time!

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

People are talking about Britt and how he isn't a natural born receiver. Here's what I say to that "Your 100% right". He isn't a WR. He's a football player!

I love this guy, he's something else. Without him who knows if C.J. scratches 2,000 rushing yards. The guy is serious, and if he could start catching eggs then he'll be the complete package. But I fear that playing alongside Washington and Gage he's screwed. He better call his boy Rod or someone who knows how to catch passes. He won't get much help from any current Titan.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Not even close...

I find it odd that you can say Fisher has to listen to the media but then say the team can go 5 years ignoring the media. Which is it? If you simply go back over the last 10 drafts and compare what the team did to the 'media pressure,' you will find the team doesn't listen AT ALL to media pressure....at least not about what or who the Titans should draft. The ONLY pressure a team feels is the need to win. Since the fans - nor the media - are not football experts (for the most part), why would an organization LISTEN to the fans as to whom it should draft to have a winning team???

The Titans should have won that playoff game against the Ravens even without a star WR going against one of the top defenses. Unfortunately, we had some uncharacteristic turnovers and they beat us.

Clearly, the Titans figured out that without CJ, there offense doesn't have any star power and we could use a playmaker besides CJ. The Titans have not been as concerned with the WR position as others but they took shots to try and get a star player. Remember the last 'big' WR we drafted who didn't do much before being hurt and not playing anymore? The Titans changed their draft philosophy about gambling on boom or bust picks and they got a lot of busts...but it's not like they haven't draft any WR in the first few rounds in the last decade, they have.

The Titans took Britt for two MAJOR reasons. They need another playmaker and Britt was available. Fisher and company clearly believed their D would still be excellent without AH and BECAUSE of that, they decided to go offense instead of draft a CB or DE. But Britt was a very solid pick not brought on by media pressure (which have been asking for years for the Titans to draft a WR in rnd 1....guess that pressure needs a lot of time to work) but by strategy.

There are certain positions the Titans do NOT like to spend 1st or 2nd rnd picks on...OL and WR are the 2 biggest ones. They do it though when they absolutely NEED to (as in drafting our LT) or they feel the team needs that last piece.

They aren't listening to you or me or anyone they aren't PAYING to give them specific advice. If they did, they would have drafted quite differently over the last decade.

The proof is in the pudding...as they say.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. carr bombed

carr bombed Starter

We don't need Kenny Britt. We have Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter (who's big, physical, and has hands of glue) and Jacoby Jones who in a limited role (almost half the catches of Britt) this season threw up 437 yards and 6 TDs.

Speaking of Jacoby Jones....he's pushing for a starting spot oppisite Andre next year, which will be very dangerous, because he's one of the most athletic receivers in the league. You can make a case he's our best big playmaker. 27 rec and 6 TDs is a insane ratio, I can't wait until he gets more burn next year.

Plus Houston is pretty happy with the player they took ahead of Kenny Britt last year. :)

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Marshall was a headache before McDaniels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar