SI article -Cutler must see QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by PragIdealist, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

True. With the top three not doing anything, all attention has to go somewhere.

But I do call it hype because few talked about him being more than a middle to late first-round pick and now some mocks have him bumping Young at #3.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Could it be that Young and Leinart have some question marks as far as succeeding at the pro-level that Cutler doesn't have? The hype is over emphasizing what a player did in college against college competition and missing how that talent can translate to the NFL. Leinart might not have a strong enough arm. Young might not be a good enough passer. I would say an argument could be made that there is "hype" over Young and Leinart based on their college careers and when scouts micro analyze how their talent will translate to the NFL they don't have rose colored glasses on. After all the draft isn't a popularity contest, it is about who scouts really believe is going to be the next top of the line QB. I'm not saying Cutler is better or should go before Young and Leinart but I am saying he could be right at their level when objectively analyzing postential in the NFL.

3. TitanJeff

True. But every player has question marks.

This hype isn't coming from NFL Scouts but the "Draft Gurus" who often over-analyze everything and manage to build up someone only to see reality take hold on draft day. Mort announced him the #1 QB before the Senior Bowl. Maylock has had Cutler the #1 QB as since October.

I think this is another Aaron Rodgers situation in the making.

4. Maybe, but Rodgers (and Kyle Boller) was the guy in the Tedford QB-friendly offense. That doesn't fit Cutler's situation.

If anything, it fits Leinart being surrounded by so much pro talent.

I'd say the hype machine is Vince Young.

5. TitanJeff

Seriously? I don't follow because, unlike Leinart, didn't have nearly the talent around him and passed for over 3,000 yards while rushing for over 1,000 last season. He had an accurracy of 61.8% over his career (Cutler is 57.2%). And Young had a passer rating of 163.9 (Cutler was 125.9).

You don't need me to post any stats as they are everywhere. But after some research, Young's passing numbers are, IMO, much more impressive than I thought they'd be.

But this is about potential. And I've read in this forum for some time how fans want the Titans to get a football player and not just focus on the measurables. In Young, I see the best of both and unlimited potential.

I'll admit there is risk. But I also don't see how anyone can say that Young is hyped after what he's done in college.

6. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Every article I've read about the Senior Bowl says that teams are more interested in the practices than the game. In fact, a lot of the scouts leave Mobile before the game is played.

I've got to agree with SK, there is at least as much hype about Young as there is Cutler. And the hype on Vince is based mostly on one game. Yeah, it was the national championship, and yeah, it was one of the greatest single game performances in college football history. But before that game, EVERYONE thought Vince Young needed to come back for his senior year because he wasnt ready for the NFL.

I think people in the Nashville area might be burned out on Cutler because we've been hearing about him for a lot longer.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well they all get hype. Leinart got hyped all of last season, Young after the Rose Bowl (claiming he's going to change the game is definetly hype in my book) and now Cutler is getting it after the senior bowl and for the upcoming combine.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You might want to read this well done article on Young.
    http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/0223young.html

The paragraph I thought was interesting was:
    At least Cutler and Leinart know how to take a snap from center, go through the progressions and make plays like they will have to make in the NFL. BTW, comparing Young's passing stats with Cutler's makes no sense considering the OL Cutler played behind. No way Young puts those kind of numbers up playing behind Vandy's OL against SEC caliber talent.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Another article on Young and the questions concerning his ability to be a quality NFL passer.

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9260509

The part that is most disturbing to me was that Mack Brown simplified the offense in his senior year because he was not grasping the coaching on how to pick through his recievers. They basically simplified the offense down to one or two options that he would throw the ball to and if those were not open he would automatically run.

10. TitanJeff

I saw that game. It made me a believer in Young.

He went into a hostile environment and threw for 270 yards, two TDs and ran for another 76. Yes, he had a couple of picks and didn't protect the ball well at times but he also put together some quality drives against one of the best defenses in the country.

The Buckeyes had a solid gameplan to stop him and he still generated nearly 350 yards of offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar