Should we draft a QB in the 1st round?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by pettso, Mar 4, 2011.

?
  1. Yes.

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. No.

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  3. Undecided.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Okay Brent. You're not slick, making up a new user ID. DBC lives on guys.

2. 24

24 Starter

Two things. If we truly are playing for next season, then we need to go out and get a veteran QB. I don't think any of these QBs (except for Mallett or Ponder) are capable of starting an NFL game from day 1. Also, the risk of taking a QB this year is higher than most. First round QBs require a huge monetary commitment, draft pick commitment, and time commitment. If we don't pick the right guy, it could set our franchise back at least 3 years. If we're going to pick someone at #8, it should be someone we're sure is going to pan out.

3. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Wherever they can get Locker.

I'm high on Locker, and I'm going to keep saying it untill the draft, but honestly, he is the best due to lack of a better option.

1 Jake Locker

2 Cam Newton- Vince Young mk 2. You can make a an argument for his ability, and I will agree, but being an O-lineman who is high on character, I doubt Munch goes in this direction. Considering Cam might come with a little baggage folowing the "investigation"

3. Ryan Mallet- Huge arm. On drugs (allegedly). Character issues. Basically, Vince with no mobility IMO.

4. FSU QB. His name isn't coming to me, which adds to the meh factor.:)

5. Blaine Gabbert- Don't get me wrong, the kid found a genie and somehow rocketed from nowhere with nothing. Props. But just look at his tape. He is Alex Smith, except Alex Smith was actually good in college.

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

We should go BPA in the 1st round - maybe except RB. We have holes all over the roster and need some decent talent.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I agree. I think Mallett or Ponder will be there in the 2nd...Locker could fall as well.

6. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

any QB can fall or rise depending on how you see it...
    It all depends on how desperate teams are on draft day... if they see QB as a huge need, we could see some defensive stars get pushed down to us... but we may also miss out on players like Locker, Mallet and Ponder if they go in the first round
    If they aren't... we may see all 3 in the second round
    point is... anything could happen on draft day...

7. pettso

pettso Starter

I did this research for the VY thread somewhere, but I think it falls pretty well in this thread, for those wanting to wait till the 2nd round:

Since 2001, there has been one QB drafted in the 2nd round that is currently a starter in the NFL. Thats an 8% chance.

In the 1st round I count ~13 out of 25. Thats a 52% chance.

Since 2001, 12 quarterbacks have been selected in the second round.
    Year QB Team
    2001 Drew Brees San Diego
    2001 Quincy Carter Dallas
    2001 Marques Tuiasosopo Oakland
    2006 Kellen Clemens Jets
    2006 Tarvaris Jackson Vikings
    2007 Kevin Kolb Philadelphia
    2007 John Beck Miami
    2007 Drew Stanton Detroit
    2008 Brian Brohm Green Bay
    2008 Chad Henne Miami
    2009 Pat White Miami
    2010 Jimmy Clausen Carolina

Source (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-quarterbacks/)

--- Same list for the 1st round ---

Michael Vick, Virginia Tech (1st overall)
    David Carr, Fresno State (1st overall)
    Joey Harrington, Oregon (3rd overall)
    Patrick Ramsey, Tulane (32nd overall)
    Carson Palmer, USC (1st overall)
    Byron Leftwich, Marshall (7th overall)
    Kyle Boller, California (19th overall)
    Rex Grossman, Florida (22nd overall)
    Eli Manning, Mississippi (1st overall)
    Philip Rivers, N.C. State (4th overall)
    Ben Roethlisberger, Miami-Ohio (11th overall)
    J.P. Losman, Tulane (22nd overall)
    Alex Smith, Utah (1st overall)
    Aaron Rodgers, California (24th overall)
    Jason Campbell, Auburn (25th overall)
    Vince Young, Texas (3rd overall)
    Matt Leinart, USC (10th overall)
    Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt (11th overall)
    JaMarcus Russell, LSU (1st overall)
    Brady Quinn, Notre Dame (22nd overall)
    Matt Ryan, Boston College (3rd overall)
    Joe Flacco, Delaware (18th overall)
    Matthew Stafford, Georgia (1st overall)
    Mark Sanchez, USC (5th overall)
    Josh Freeman, Kansas State (17th overall)

8. 24

24 Starter

Who cares? You think VY would've been on this team for more than 2 years if he was drafted in the 2nd round? Teams invest more time in first round QBs. More time = more opportunities to succeed.

9. pettso

pettso Starter

Uhhh... your argument is so flawed I don't even know where to start...

First, you're saying the main/only reason the 11 out of 12 QBs drafted in the 2nd round failed is because they weren't given enough opportunities to succeed? Really?

Second, assuming your first argument is right and the Titans don't "invest as much time" into the QB they draft in the 2nd round. That still makes him just as likely to be a bust as any other QB drafted in the 2nd round, 92%.

I know you think we should draft Ponder and you're sticking by your guns, but your argument doesn't make any sense. He could be the next Drew Brees, I'm not denying that. The odds just aren't in his favor though, seeing as how he's ranked as the 4th or 5th QB in a pretty weak QB class.

10. 24

24 Starter

That's not the main/only reason. There's obviously a drop off in talent in the 2nd round, that's why they're drafted there. The stat that you, and countless others, constantly bring up is such a polarizing stat that it immediately turns people off from 2nd round QBs.

That second point about how the Titans may not invest as much time, I can full heartedly support. That is a legitimate claim because history proves that is likely to happen. However, if people are going to compare two sets of data, they must do so with all other things being equal.

Finally, what if I told you that Locker and Ponder received the same grade from the draft advisory committee last year. And, the only reason Ponder is not a surefire first rounder is because of his injuries. I'm not obsessed with any prospect, and I'm willing to change my view on anyone if someone can provide good evidence. But, the "2nd round QB" data is not good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar