Should Erron Kinney be traded or cut during the offseason?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

To make room for a guy who could be more productive? And we have depth there? Now that's only if we got a good pick for him that could be used to help another position. Does that sound crazy?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Who is more productive? Troupe? He'll have as many opportunities as the #2 since he is a totally different weapon than Kinney is. Kinney is the best blocker on a team needing help with the running game. Until Scaife is more consistent with his game, I don't think you get rid of Kinney since the Chow offense utilizes the TE so much.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If Gunther was a big hulky type guy looking at moving Kinney might have more merit. Scaife and Troupe don't fall into that category and Kinney is not only a real solid blocker he is a pretty darn good offensive weapon.
    I see know way we could get value in a trade for Kinney.
    Again this idea that draft picks are automatically an improvement over solid proven NFL players has raised its ugly head. Kinney is a very valuable player on our team (as Jeff said we have an offense that utilizes the TE alot) and it is sensless to trade him for a 3rd round pick that has never played a down in the NFL. To come close to his value we would have to get a mid to early second round pick and nobody is going to do that IMO and even if they did we could still end up coming out on the short end.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I said Troupe could be more productive, and being the #1 guy will give him more opporitunites to do so. Even when we ran two TE sets, sometimes Troupe wasn't in. It's pretty obvious the kind of playmaking TE that Troupe can be and Kinney will never be. Yeah we'll give up some blocking, but to get a better play maker in and a draft pick that could help elsewhere....doesn't seem like too much of a risk to me.

We shouldn't use the TE so much, that's part of the problem. Wr's should be more of the game plan, even Fleming should be.

Sox, I've already said this before, but I'll say it again. I'm not saying a draft pick is automatically better than what Kinney does. Of course there's some risk involved. Kinney is not a 2nd round talent. He's good, but helped a lot by the system.

5. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

:)

Very good post!!! Kinney could be shopped for another player if a draft choice wasn't good value. I would love have a decent veteran safety
    or even OL help. You can always find a blocking TE in the late rounds of the draft. You always can kind one of those. We already have two possibly three good receiving TEs. I say three because the 4th TE has upside because he was kept on the roster over more needy positions.
    You have to make tough choices but again, what are the odds on Kinney having another season like this one.

Sell High is the rule..

Jolley had interest from several teams and Oakland got value. Kinney could be used to move up in the draft, for simply a draft choice or for a proven player at a need position

6. I'm split on the issue of trading Kinney. I think he is a good all-around TE and a good blocker. In that respect, there's no reason to trade him. He is a better blocker than our other TEs.

That said, like Bobo mentioned, Troupe needs playing time. We had no receiving threats on offense this year, and Troupe is a potential threat. He needs to be the #1 TE. Kinney just doesn't have the athleticism to be that threat.

I'm not opposed to keeping both. But if they are high enough on Scaife (and I don't see why not) and Guenther to be the #2 and #3 TEs, then Kinney could be moved to get a draft pick. Trading Kinney for (perhaps) a 3rd round pick may be preferable to either cutting Guenther or keeping him inactive if they like him.

7. maximus

maximus Starter

None of the other TEs have shown they can be a consistent force in the run blocking scheme that the Titans have used. If the Titans trade a TE, it will be Scaife or Guenther, maybe Troupe(if the price is right)

8. It's not just a case of keeping the best player. It's also what you get in return. What do you think we are going to get in return by trading Scaife or Guenther?

If the Titans trade any of them, it would be Kinney. He's the one with both solid trade value and a guy who isn't going to get any better.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What percentage do the Titans run a two-TE offense now? It may be difficult to know due to the injuries but we already know Chow uses it often.

I just think the Titans need two quality TEs and Scaife is not ready to be a #2.

And I don't see Troupe being effective as a TE who had to pose a duel threat which I feel is Kinney's strength. I think Troupe is actually more effective with Kinney on the field as he can split out and exploit mismatches.

Let's also remember there is more wear and tear on Troupe if he has to stay in as a blocking TE.

Lots to consider here.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

It seemed Scaife was the #2 TE this year at times when he was in instead of Troupe. He looked good with his chances. They felt good enough about Guenther to keep him as a 4th TE (they didn't even do that with what's his face that went to Atlanta). They have to feel pretty good about the TE depth.

Indy relies a lot on TE's and they let Pollard go because they liked what they had behind him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar