Should division winners with losing record host playoff games?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Pretty simple discussion, should division winners with losing records be allowed to host playoff games as was the case in 2010 and 2014?

2010 the 7-9 Seahawks played the 11-5 Saints in Seattle.
    2014 the 7-8-1 Panthers played the 8-7-1 Cardinals in Carolina.

But shouldn't the better teams get the chance to have a home playoff game?

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Things are fine the way they are. Winning the division should be a special honor.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm fine with it. It's just the way things are set up and is a perk of winning your division.

4. JCBRAVE

Winning a weak division is nothing to boast about, seems a little backwards to me the lesser teams are getting home field advantage over team with more wins.

I dont really have an issue with it, but it just came on the radio and there were mixed feelings. No one loves the format but they all deal with it.

5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

The lesser team won Tho....division winners get home game. How pissed would we be if we won our division but say Baltimore got a wild card and we had to go there and play.

6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

It's something that only comes up every few years and I like it. If a team wants to host a playoff game, win your division. It's that simple. Each division goes through a cycle of not being very good, a few years ago it was the NFC West, now they're arguably the best division in football. So it all evens out.

Winning the division shouldn't just mean you get into the playoffs. There should be an extra incentive, such as hosting a playoff game. Wild card teams on the other hand, should just be glad to make it in.

7. JCBRAVE

I wouldn't mind at all, I could easily make a game in Baltimore, getting to Nashville is more than a car ride. But I know what you mean.

And there is no home field advantage anymore at LP Field, its become teams home away from home.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

It would be if we were good again. It's just been SO long since anything good happened with this team, people have become apathetic.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

At first I was very much against it. I think it cost us in 08 too... #2 seed Steelers got to play the #4 seed 8-8 Chargers. We got to play the #6 seed 11-5 Ravens. Didn't seem so fair to me, so I stafted to hate the playoff seeding rules. Not sure it would've mattered anyways since we beat ourselves that night.

Now I'm okay with it because it seems to be working. Both times a team with a losing record made the playoffs, they won their game. If the Seahawks or Panthers had been embarrassed, maybe they'd change the seeding. But it's working, so there's not a chance they will.

Really sucks for teams like the Eagles who go 10-6 and miss the playoffs though.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If you're a playoff team and playing a team who has a losing record you should be able to beat them regardless of where you play.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar