Server issues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That's not true. Every member must be 18-years or older now.

Let me explain this a bit more to everyone.

There has been some talk among the members of F2FA on this new liability insurance being sold to protect sites from being sued. Apparently, in this sue-happy society in which we live, people are now coming after web sites for anything from violating what they feel is their freedom of speech to seeing inappropriate content posted by other members.

In one case, a parent sued a site because a member had posted a link to a site they felt inappropriate for their minor son. Of course, this site had disclaimers all over it but it had to spend quite a bit of money to defend itself.

Back in the early '90s, I ran a small message board which, back then, was called a BBS. I had to ban a nut who turned around and sued me. The court threw it out but the cost of defending myself was $2,500 which was a ton for a new dad living paycheck to paycheck.

Basically, anyone can sue anyone over anything. Some take this hobby too seriously and it's beginning to impact sites like this one who don't make a profit or have the resources to defend itself.

I'm hoping enough of these suits will be found frivolous and trend will end. When it does, we'll remove the underage ban. But we may also have to close the site to guests at some point in order to further minimize the risks.

I apologize to those this impacts because it doesn't remove the risk. Guest can still visit. But it would hopefully show I am taking as many steps as I can to help minimize the risk.

The thing is, those who are most likely to cause the problems are those who would lie about their age anyway. So though I agree it isn't the best solution, I'm not left with many options.

2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

When was that PM sent J? I haven't had any issues with this forum since last year.

I wondered why I got that email... I thought someone else was trying to log in to my account.

[​IMG]

3. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Well thank god in 18 this month. Saturday to be exact. No one will probably believe me but you can go check my AIM name and Myspace. My aim name is xRyan91589

9/15/89

September 15th 1989

Ill scan my social security card too if I have too. If this is seriously causing this lag then I understand it because it happened to all the people who are "underage"

Me , TitanKid , DcTitan

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Ya know, we should really pass a law that says if you sue someone and it gets thrown out that you are responsible for their legal bill, or at least a hefty portion of it. That'd put a stop to some of this garbage.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

It aggravates me that good posters are probably going to have to be sacrificed because of this

6. TitanJeff

Actually, that's what this judge did. But this guy was a nut and also poor. I would have spent at least that much getting the money out of him through the same legal channels.

7. TitanJeff

They are not related as I have no way of knowing anyone's age.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

So now we have a wormhole too. That's just peachy.:irked:

9. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

im not gonna give anyone the details of my age, but my birthday is in 1989, so this rule doesnt effect me that much...

10. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Well you might not want to give details but I don't want to be dishonest with anyone about anything. I can see why this new rule had to be made because Jeff is right.. Theres so much stuff that could happen if a 12 or 13 year old comes on here and starts making trouble and reading things he shouldn't be then goes and tells his parents and then boom. Problems all over the place.

I am 17 as of now so I really shouldn't even be here right now but I do think the rule should at least be changed slightly because some of us like Bababooey , TitanKid , Dc... have been around for a while and its not like we would ever do things like that. Kick as out if you wish its not up to us but at least reconsider.. No one really starts anything around here , sure theres the occasionally dumb disagreements but its not hurting anyone.

Good thing I'm only 17 for a few more days though. I just don't wanna see some of the regulars around here have to go because of a rule that started after they got here. It's not exactly fair but like ive said not up to us.

Anyways about the server issues I think I might just wanna delete this name and just remake it or something. I could care less about post counts right now anyways. I hate not being able to come here. Expecially now that we just got someone new and I cant even get into the thread to see what people think of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar