Schwartzie

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Once Travis Henry secured the RB position, the run game has been very good. We came out throwing the ball all over the stadium last week because Jeff Fisher wanted to impress his boyfriend Jack DelRio, got behind early and that was the end of it. While Mawae and Olsen probably won't be here if/when this team turns the corner, they are not the problem right now IMO.

Young's 11 for 27 on 3rd and 7 or less isn't helping the run game either. Dare McNair is back. Only with a new QB.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

In principle, I agree with what you're saying. If we can run the ball effectively, it'll take a ton of pressure off of VY and only HELP the D.

However, I don't see Mawae as a problem. Pillar and Olson have been. We need a new OG and we'll see how Bell does this year along with Stewart. I don't see Stewart as a beast...but we'll see. He'll have this season to earn and keep his job (along with Bell). I thought Roos might have some problems but he's adjusted better then I could have hoped.

One thing...in another post you intimated that you didn't think any of our DT's (besides AL) and DE's can stop the run. If we can't stop the run, we won't win...period. What is your suggestion for the DL considering there is a real chance they won't re-sign big AL?

As far as signing interior OL...two things. First, it is hard to find a good OC in free agency who is a GOOD (not adequate player). And Steve H set the new standard for LG (he deserves it)....but there are only a couple of guys with that kind of talent and we just missed out on one of them.

The sad thing is, OC and OG are where you get the most bang for your buck in the draft. The best OG usually goes late first early second and the best OC usually is a early second rnd pick. These are good spots to upgrade these positions whereas you can not get a sure fire dominant pass rusher usually outside the top 10.

The most important things are to identify areas in need of upgrades and try and fill those holes via free agency and the draft without setting yourself up for an economic roller coaster. SK said it perfectly that we need to frontload new free agent contracts so we don't start closing VY's window even before he hits his prime!

Gut

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I don't think there's any doubt that Mawae came to the Titans to play for just a couple of years while helping a young team and then retire. He had better offers from other clubs I've been told, but chose Tennessee and it's not like we're a contender.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've yet to see the Titans run the football against a quality defensive line and they still struggle in the red zone. To me, that points to your interior guys not getting it done.

I think they'll look to free agency if they can and I would not be surprised to see a DE or DT taken in the first round if the talent is there.

I fully agree. And I don't pretend to have the answers. I think this is something which gets upgraded over a 2-3 season span and is done both via free agency and the draft. But I think the Titans have to recognize that it is an area of weakness and address it by investing in it instead of taking 5th and 6th-round guys and hoping Munch can mold them in a few seasons.

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Yeah... You could've said the same thing for the D last year but if you did you would get mobbed by the Anti-Schwartz possie... The Titans are still the 2nd youngest in the NFl but nobody seems to remember that. Chow is in his second year and doesn't deserve a pass anymore than any other coach. That's a bunch on BS... Our Offense has been the worst thing we've had on the field for two years hands down.

6. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Give me a break. Our offense last year ranked statistically behind Pittsburgh. Might I add Chow's mandate of keeping Mac healthy, and this was in his first year as a DC? Give me a break... Chow might be a problem, but it is still too early to tell. JS has had 5 years, and we are getting worse. I concede that Chow can do better, but at this point, we need to stop the bleeding. JS is the root cause to our woes, not Chow.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Rc...

A first year coordinator will usually get a pass while the unit learns the system. We also had to keep McNair upright and had a struggling running game with Brown being banged up and poor play at OG.

Year two Reese dumps McNair and pisses Volek off right before the season. So we get to start Collins who clearly didn't know the offense and now have a rookie at the most important position on the football field. Historically, it is almost impossible to have a really good offense while starting a rookie at QB...and we're not exactly surrounding VY with hall of fame talent.

So yes, Chow will get a pass for another year depnding on how VY appears to develop (or not).

Schwartz on the other hand has no dominant rookie to protect. And I hanrdly consider a rookie CB picked at #6 overall a liability as a starter. He may not be great, but he won't be terrible either. And even if you gave Schwartz a pass for last year, what has he done this year with much added talent?

The defense is WORSE!!! And that is a FACT!!!

Gut

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

The Chow Offense Summarized:

If you throw great deep balls, stop.
    If you scramble effectively, stop.
    If you can't play a 3-step drop, start.
    If you can't execute a shallow cross, run that play.
    If you can't screen, then screen.

Schwartz sucks. So does Chow.

In college ball, receivers are open all over the place. In the NFL, they're not.
    In college ball, defenses are weak. In the NFL, they will kill you.
    Chow does not know this.

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Funny how a "schwartzie" thread usually gets around to chow. Some are ready to throw chow out with or ahead of schwartzie, but here are the stats direct from NFL.com.
    Total O- 28th ranked-271.4 yards per game, not great I agree.
    Passing O-29th ranked-158 yards per game, again not great but VY is getting better and this will go way up.
    Rushing O-12th ranked-113.4 yards per game, I was surprised we were ranked this high also but it is something to build on, just needs to be more consistant.
    Scoring-30th ranked, same as passing this will only go up.
    I don't think a intellectual argument can be made that schwartzie and chow have had the same talent levels or time to develope. In both cases schwartzie has had more. Remember schwartzie inherited a number one ranked D and has driven it into the ground steadily year after year while chow got a beat up QB, a number one reciever that is slow and has the drops and C. Brown his first year as his "go to guy" in the running game. So yeah, chow gets a pass to develope VY and the young'uns while schwartzie just gets shown the door, today would be nice.:irked:

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...and...

3 years ago would have been BETTER!

But I'd take today!!!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar