Schwartz wants Titans DC job

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Except Schwartz' wide 9 set up perfectly for us when he was our DC because we had Albert Haynesweth. Its not his fault that Cecil and Grey kept doing it when it didnt work.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. 615nick

615nick Starter

I'd take him as position coach, not dc. I'd much rather keep one or both of horton and lebeau.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You don't know what you are talking about. Schwartz did a fantastic job with the bills defense in 2014. A better job than Rex Ryan did last season.

4. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

I think a McDaniels, Schwartz Coach DC would be sweet and prototypical. It's the kind of culture change along with Robinson in the front office the team needs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Our defenses on average from 2001-2008 were mediocre under Schwartz but remember we had the injury years of 2001 and 2004 and the cap hell year of 2005. Not sure any DC could over come those problems. We know that when he had good talent in 02, 03, 07, 08 he put some good defenses out there and we succeeded as a team.

Schwartz's Bills defense in 2014 was better than Mike Pettine's defense the year before and Rex Ryan's defense the year after.

I would have no problem with a switch back to a 4-3 with a new coaching staff.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So Mcdaniels 12-20 head coaching record impresses you?

And, you are totally unaware of the failures of other Belechick assistants as head coaches?

7. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

Do you have someone else better in mind? Mularkey perhaps?

I think he deserves another shot in a role that isolates him as the head coach. His system under Mariota would be ideal. He's young enough to learn from and grow from his mistakes. I'd give him another shot

8. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Sample size of what, 4 coaches of belichick? Why would coaching with Belichick make someone a worse HC...

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...not exactly. To be fair, he was DC from 2002-2008. Here are his rankings...

By Points.....................By Yards per Game
    11th..............................10th
    13th..............................12th
    30th.............................27th
    29th.............................19th
    31st..............................32nd
    8th...............................5th
    2nd...............................7th

So by points, he had 2 units in the top 10 and 4 total units in the top 15. He also had 3 years at 29th-31st.

By yards, he had 3 top 10 units and 4 total units in the top 12. He also had 2 units between 27 and 32 (last). These are not the stats of a DC who is awesome or really good. Really DC's almost never have a unit in the bottom 5 of the league and Schwartz was definitely guilty of putting players in positions to fail year after year. He was not accountable for anything and didn't carry on the legacy of Gregg Williams whom he learned under.

I don't want a return of the Schwartz. I don't think he even coached last year. I don't want us to be some JV team where failed coaches come to try and get another shot. The Titans need to hire a very good GM and then go for broke on one of the top OC's/HC's left! Schwartz is going in the WRONG direction!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar