Schottenheimer Fired

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Word is that AJ Smith and Spanos wanted Schott to hire Ted Cottrell as DC because he worked under Wade Phillips (their old DC) and knows and can run the same exact D.

So they aren't exactly stupid (though they should have thought of this before)!

And realistically, they can bring in someone to run the same offense but add some of their own touches...not necessarily change the entire offense. Of course, if you added a Mike Martz, that WOULD happen...but his offense is pretty dangerous. Perhaps more importantly, short of running a 3 TE offense and trying to pound LT into a 4-4 D, LT will flourish in most offenses and Rivers will always have him and Gates to throw the ball to. I don't think they'll be crying unless they bring in a complete dud of a HC.

Gut

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

First, it wasn't Schott's coaching they didn't like...it was his relationship with AJ Smith where the GM and HC were clearly not on the same page.

Second, Schott has a terrible post season record (though I completely agree the players wrecked the last game) so it is something to consider...

But third, and lastly, I think they saw that Schott didn't want to sign an extension so he very well might have only been there one more year (maybe Schott was using that as his leverage and they called his bluff) and they didn't want to sign HIS guys to multiyear contracts if Marty was only gonna be there 1 more season.

Of course, they have put themselves in a bad situation considering most of the good HC candidates are gone. However, the Chargers job may be the most enticing situation for any coach in a long time....so they could try to entice a Cowher (unlikely), Parcells (maybe...with Parcells and the Chargers vs Belichick and the Pats in the AFC title game?), a Ron Rivera, Mike Singletary, or previous coaches like Dom Capers or a Mike Martz. They could also look to the college ranks with a Kirk Ferentz. However, I DON'T like 2 names I'm hearing...Cottrell and Pete Carroll. I think Cottrell is a lot like Wade Phillips...a good DC but not a good HC....just a feeling. And I think Carroll is a perfect college HC....but I don't think he plays nearly as well in the NFL.

Gut

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut yopu have to be kidding..

Don't even mention don capers with his 37% career winning percentage. Mike martz would be the best pick, better than norv turner who everyone talks about for a head job..

Firing shott for not winning in the playoffs is like the colts trading manning for that loss to the steelers last year. The guy does the hard part and that is getting teams to the playoffs he has done that 13 times! His career winning percentage is .613! Given that 63% of NFL teams don't make the playoffs that is extraordinary.

Winning % for coaches

Bellichick 58%
    Parcells 57%
    Fisher 53%
    Shottenheimer 61%

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

and his playoff coaching record is?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

5-13..

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

61% is all well and good but if you are going home every divisional game, it isn't really worth it, is it?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny...

Is every loss his fault? He is at fault for that 98 yard elway drive or was it just elway's greatness? Was it bad coaching that caused earnest byner to fumble the ball at the one yard line?

Give shott john elway and see how many playoff games he wins. Shott went into the playoffs with QBs like bernie kosar, dave krieg, a past his prime montana, steve deberg, elvis grbac. He lost to Qbs like elway, kelly and brady.

I'm not saying he is a great playoff coach but in many cases the other team was just better with a better QB.

Maybe shott isn't as good a playoff coach as bellichick, so who are they going to hire that is? Dom capers? Norv turner? Dave wannstedt?

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Roll...

Let's try this...

Do you think a coach should be hired soley on his coaching record? If yes, how would you justify NE signing Belicheck to be there head coach since he had a resume of losing (Cleveland). And yet he's turned into one of the top HC's of all time.

Wanna explain how that was possible?

Or how any coach with NO resume gets a shot since their winning percentage is 0%?

Try reading and responding to the rest of my post instead of picking out one name...

Gut

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut...

We are talking about firing a coach not hiring one. How often is a coach fired after a 14-2 season?

As for bellichick he was quite the unusual situation wasn't he? Most coaches with losing track records over 5 seasons don't go on to greatness. If you care to list some of them please do so.

I would say that a 21 year track record is a pretty good indicator of future success. Is there a better one?

And capers wasn't the only name i commented on i also mentioned martz a former HC who probably deserves another shot. He certainly knows offense..

So gut make your case for another coach who you think would be better than shott. And don't say parcells i think he is done as a coach.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why make my point for me?

Or how any coach with NO resume gets a shot since their winning percentage is 0%?
    --------------------

My point exactly thanks gut. Why dump a guy with a 21 year track record of winning for a guy who has not coached a game? The chargers may do just that..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar