Schottenheimer Fired

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

From what I heard he got in a heated argument over the loss of his staff with the owner. Owner (forget his name) basically said he should have done something to block the interviews of his staff. Schottenheimer did not agree with that remark, it got heated and he was fired.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You guys are crazy if you think the Chargers won't be a threat to win it all once again this year just because 1 man is gone. A man that doesn't even play the game.
    That team is far too talented for their destiny to be guided by coaches. Coaches are good for only a few things these days: 1. Mentality. 2. Taking the blame. 3. Riding the coat-tails of talented squads.
    Players make coaches. Not the other way around.

3. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

It's not just one man, they also lost five assistants including both coordinators, that means that in all likelihood they will be adopting a whole new system, I don't think the players will be able to pick it up that quickly, especially with a QB going into only his second year as the starter.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Marty didn't even call the plays
    he just micro-managed his coordinators

the biggest blow to the Chargers was losing Cameron

5. metal957

metal957 Starter

I could see someone like Denny Green going there and having a good amount of success.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

maybe as OC but not head coach

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

It's stupid!

They won't be able to find a better coach. Who in the hell are the chargers now that they should expect better?

They have had 3 straight winning seasons and are 35-13 the last three seasons under shott. Makes no sense..

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Dennis green..?

Anyone who would fire shott and hire dennis green is mentally retarded! Green has gotten half as much out of his team that shottenheimer got out of the chargers. Green was horrible with the cardinals..

The cardinals are probably mad that they already hired their coach now that shott is available..

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Bucs did it with Dungy.
    49ers got rid of Mariucci.

It happens.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?

Really? I could have sworn the Bucs had one of the most talented rosters in the NFC for years (along with a dominant D) and yet they didn't even make it to the Super Bowl. Why? Because while he's great at building a D and getting someone to run it (with Dungy's help), he couldn't hire a decent offensive coordinator to save his life!!! Afterall...his last gasp was to hire Les Steckel (of all people) away from us!!! And frankly, if he didn't land with a team that already had a top offense that he didn't have to touch, I seriously doubt he'd have gotten to the Super Bowl.

Quite possibly though I'd need to know who would have replaced him for a realistic answer. If it's a Dennis Erickson...no, they wouldn't have won it. If it was an Eric Mangini...yes, I believe they would have won it and probably had an easier time doing it.

I can. Turnover in the NFL is pretty high...even for HC's. Remember, Fisher is the longest tenured HC in the league now. But the days of a Tom Landry or Chuck Knoll are long gone...

And keep in mind, HC's make a good chunk of change now so if you can't win SOON, they can find someone cheaper to lose too!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar