Scaife tender will cost Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans News, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans News

Titans News Guest

Tight end Bo Scaife as the team’s franchise player in 2010, and earned $4.46 million in the process.

Now, with little hope of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, it looks like he’ll bebecome a restricted free agent instead of hitting unrestricted free agency in March.

But it won’t be as simple as slapping a one-year tender on Scaife if the Titans want to keep him – it will cost them.

Scaife just completed his 5thNFL season. He finished third on the team in receptions with 45 catches for 440 yards, and a touchdown. In my opinion, he’s a player worth keeping, aside from the fact rising second-year tight end Jared Cook remains unproven and veteran Alge Crumpler is scheduled to be a free agent and his value these days is more as a blocker than pass catcher.

But to keep Scaife, the Titans will have to pay him 110 percent of his salary from last season, according to league rules. That means Scaife’s tender will cost the Titans $4.906 million, significantly more than the highest tender available for use.

So what will the Titans do? I expect them to place the tender on Scaife for that amount, even if it is a hefty price tag. Then, the Titans could entertain thoughts of trading him to a team willing to give him a long term deal, and willing to give the Titans something in return.

It seems like a far better idea than balking at the price and letting him walk. The other option, of course, would be for the Titans to sign Scaife to a long-term deal, yet with Cook around that doesn’t seem likely.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We'd discussed this in a thread a few weeks back. $4.9 mil for Scaife is nuts.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

For a one year deal on an uncapped season?

There are crazier ideas out there.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Bo is not worth all that dough. He caught one TD in 2009, and we put a lot into Cook.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think it'll depend based on how Cook looks. I can't see them paying Scaife that much and then giving Cook a lot of opportunity.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

If worse comes to worse we keep him on for another year. I wouldn't mind locking him up long term though. Him and Cook would be a nice combo for VY to have.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Always wondered if they didn't have this scenario in mind when they gave up the #2 pick. Would be nice to get that back..

8. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

think this was already seen coming

9. I think keeping Scaife really all comes down to some unknowns (some seem pretty easy to figure). Do the Titans think Cook is ready to start? Do they think Stevens is ready to play? How much value do they put in Scaife (can't be $5M for 1 year)? Do they WANT to keep Scaife and Cook to play most of the minutes, even knowing neither can block?

I just can't see them shelling out much money to keep him. I can see them going after another TE who can block (like Watson or even Crumpler) unless they think Stevens can do it. But not Scaife, who is solid but not remotely spectacular.

I think they have to go with Cook. Sink or swim.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'd like to have Bo back but not at that rich of a salary. We all no he can't block to save his life and I don't think his friendship with VY should be enough to keep him around.

Crumpler is a solid blocker, the jury's still out on Stevens, but Cook definitely needs to be playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar