Scaife Getting the Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Enter Craig Stevens (in theory at least).

It's pretty clear the Chiefs want a lot for Gonzo. I'm not sure I'm into the Titans giving up a first or second pick to acquire him and then a huge new contract once he's here. It's a close call though.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think we're using the franchise tag a bit liberally here. Scaife isn't vital nor is he hard to replace. Don't really understand this one.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

7th most catches in the league for TE last season. The only consistent receiving option over the last few seasons. The only player that has done well with either Kerry or Vince at QB.

Why not franchise him??? Not like we were going to use it on anyone else.

And if we are going with Vince this season, or in the future, it makes sense to keep the players around him consistent, the players that do well that is.

Bironas- check.
    Scaife- check.

2/3 people I thought were must re-signs this offseason.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with Gloat that Scaife was worth the tag but here are my reasons.
    Assuming Scaife is worth 3 mil or more anyway the Titans basically are spending an additional 1 mil to have the following options:

1. They keep Scaife another year while they draft and develop their TEs for the future. At minimum we have Stevens, Scaife and Crumpler next year but Crumpler could be the odd man out if we draft a promising TE 5th round or earlier (meaning they won't cut the draft pick). They also get another year to see if Stevens is something more than a blocking TE.
    2. They could plan on drafting a TE anyway so they market Scaife for a trade which basically re-coops the draft pick. Scaife's value in a trade could be as high as a second rounder IMO to some team. Getting anything for Scaife in a trade is better than letting him walk for nothing.
    3. They like Scaife long term but want to see him perform for one more season to determine his value.
    4. Not sure exactly what the date is but the Titans can still work a long term agreement with Scaife before that date. Gives them some time to decide.

Whatever happens the Titans have options going forward.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

Scaife Receives Franchise Tag from Titans

SUMMARY: The Tennessee Titans have announced they are placing the franchise tag on Bo Scaife. "I just hope I can go out there and make everyone proud -- the fans, the city, my teammates and just continue doing what I’m doing," Scaife said. "I know there are a lot of big things still ahead for me. I’m going to keep working." The franchise tag for tight ends will allow Scaife to earn $4.46 million in 2009. In his career, Scaife has 170 catches for 1,625 yards and seven touchdowns. Last season, he had a team-high 58 catches for 561 yards and two touchdowns.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

6. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

He had more receiving yards than any Titans WR last year.

If you want to keep some semblance of a passing threat, you keep him. What pass catching TE can you replace him with at the start of fall? No immediate options. Plus, if VY wins his job back, we wall know Scaife and VY get along great and it will be a plus for the passing game.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm certain we'll work out a deal before the season starts.

8. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Well Bo, my hope is that you continue to progress in the league because most of the "Titans Faithful" wanted you gone before last season. They thought Alge Crumpler was still 25, with good knees. You'll get no slack in '09. Just be prepared for the reaction after that first drop, then get back in the huddle and prove them wrong again.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:huh:

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think we did it so we could negotiate exclusively with him throughout free agency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar