Say goodbye to the NCAA as you know it.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by nickmsmith, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Your use of the word "arbitrary" when discussing scholarships is interesting, and IMO a good example of what I am saying. People place no value on a free education when talking about how these athletes are compensated. The compensation is not what the free education costs in fees, nor what it costs the university to deliver. It is the value that it can provide an athlete (most of which will never see the inside of an NFL locker room as a player) after he graduates. Yet this is completely being ignored in the discussion IMO, which is sad and indicative of a larger problem we have culturally.

Basically the argument I am hearing is that it is more important for athletes to have spending money while playing than for them to get a free college education. I completely disagree and think that this would be sending a very bad message.

That concern aside, in a previous post you mention the concept of having a flat rate for all players. What keeps someone like Johnny Manziel (or a future version of him) content with getting the same amount of money as a third string guard on the same team? That would be the next evolution of this IMO....players starting to demand more for their real or perceived "higher value" to an organization. At that point we no longer have college sports, but rather a true minor league system. If that is the direction that folks want to go, fine....just separate it out from the university system and treat like MLB minor leagues.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

I certainly place value on education.. free or otherwise. Its the dollar amounts that universities charge that I refer to as arbitrary. Just because something is valuable, like education, doesnt mean universities should break a family's bank for their child to obtain one. What makes education valuable is not all dollars and cents. It is the student's ability and their investment in time that will ultimately set them apart in society. The price of tuition does not have to cost as much as it does today... it's high price is arbitrary.

As far as the second point.. Im sure players still wouldnt be content.. however if they were allowed an allowance at least they wouldnt be as justified in their malcontent. Flat rate means flat rate.. sorry future Johnny

3. RTH

RTH Meh...

GOOD BYE!!!

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

It's not as if the system was good... the NCAA seemed, to me, to be the most complained about and stupid thing for a long time. About time this happened.

We'll see how it goes!

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

No disagreement on the cost of education, but I still think most folks in this discussion are ignoring its value to an athlete when making their argument.

However, I am not as optimistic about your second point. Right now you are making the argument that these players are not being compensated for the revenue that they bring to the school. One could just as easily make the argument that future Johnny deserves more compensation than future third string guard because he is bringing more revenue (and probably costing less at the cafeteria) than the third string guard. I see that occurring with about 100% certainty in the future if players start getting direct compensation here.

I also see future Johnny making the case that he provides Texas A&M more revenue than future Teddy provides Louisville and, as a result, should be paid more. At that point we are basically at "NFL light" IMO. Very slippery slope here, and the devil will be in the details.

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Y not jus allow them to sign autographs n jerseys n give em a percentage. Is it really that hard

7. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

HS students going straight to the NFL? They are still practically kids. Not only are they not physically ready, but I will bet they can't handle the mental transition either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar