Say Fisher leaves after this year?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PAtitansfan53, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Well, if you take any 12 year span in the salary cap era, these statistics are going to tend to be around the middle of the pack (with notable exceptions being HOF players' careers like the Peyton era for instance). It's the natural tendency. Even still, I'm not sold that Fisher is a great coach, but I think we are better off keeping him and changing some of the other pieces, such as the people who are putting together our roster and, obviously, Schwartz.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

RT,
    Why does questioning chow have anything to do with his race? I still don't see in any of your posts what you see in his offense that makes you think he's ready for a head coaching gig? You described his offense as different than Fisher and Dinger's, but what makes it better? You question people for praising Fisher because he has produced average results, but then say that Chow is the best coach we have because in one year he produced average results with what you call "less than average" talent. First, talent level is a pretty difficult thing to judge player-to-player, much less offense to offense. Second, why is that jump that much of a goal? Third, we weren't a middle of the pack offense, we were below it. We were 16th in scoring offense, helped greatly by long field goals and turnovers. In terms of yards, we were 27th in production. 27TH! We scored above our ability, but is that really chow's doing? What has Chow done that says he'd be a better coach than Jeff Fisher? My only real point is that we haven't seen enough that we can truly distinguish as Chow's work (from Fisher's) that was a positive contribution to make him a head coach, especially considering his age and lack of experience.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gotitans..

I didn't mean to say that if chow wasn't your guy it must be because he is asian. Two posts bothered me one that actually suggested schwartz ahead of him and gloat's idea that chow isn't really running the offense.

First of all can you agree that in 2 years we have not had that much to work with on offense? We had no WRs and a running game in 05 and last year we had to re-work the whole offense for a rookie QB. Last year chow showed that he can take a young player and instead of forcing that player into his system rather build a system around a vince young. I think that helped vince feel more comfortable in the offense and allowed him to perform at a higher level.

I didn't say chow would be better than fisher but if he was average he would be just as good..

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Actually i think you have it backwards. The longer a guy coaches the better chance we have to see if he is a good coach. An average coach can have a great year if the talent is there and with a little luck regarding injuries, turnovers and such and a great coach can have a bad year if the reverse is true but the longer a guy coaches the more you should be able to identify trends that tell you how good he is.

Bill cowher started his career with 6 straight winning seasons with odonnell, tomzack and stewart as his QBs. It took fisher until his 5th year to have a winner and he had mcnair. After those first 6 years you knew that cowher was a good coach because you can't luck your way into 6 straight winning seasons. Then cowher ran into some difficult times but over the long haul looked what happened?

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I can agree that he hasn't had much to work with. However, I also wouldn't say he didn't have much to work with. I maintain that McNair could have had a better year than he did in 2005, but I don't really put that on Chow. I don't have anything against the guy, and would agree that he's probably done a decent job with what he was given over the last two years. But what about that says that he is good enough to be a successful head coach in the NFL? He's worked with tons of different teams and players designing offenses, but has no head coaching experience. I like the guy, but don't know why so many people say he should be a head coach already. (On ESPN.com, I believe the last 3 power rankings have had the comment about the Titans saying that Chow should be a head coach, which makes me wonder why they're so stuck on that) When it got brought up on here, I just wanted someone to bring an argument for him. For me, my reaction to him isn't "why not?", but "why?" I'd say he's a decent OC with a ton of experience, but I wouldn't make him a head coach unless there weren't any other good choices.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

You can compare every coach in the league not named Bellichick to Cowher and make them look bad.

But anyways, I am not saying Fisher is a great coach, but I think he is, at the very least, above average. We haven't had as much talent as other teams have. Even during our 13-3 seasons, we won a TON of close games (isn't that the mark of a great coach or do you attribute those to something else?) that we probably should've lost. We ran into some great teams in the playoffs and still had a chance to get a Super Bowl. Tough luck. Maybe we can get one next time.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

hah thats ironic....b/c i just read today...cant remember where i think espn...or maybe si.com nyway who cares...i read somewere and an anyslist said something like "how has norm chow not been offered a head choaching job"

yeah i think he's that good too

8. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

yea..lets believe all of the espn guys...the guys who said MIchael Griffin did not make sense, the guys who said VY would be a bust. You got to be kidding me man, the only person on ESPN who has a clue (albeit a small one) on the Titans is Michael SMith. If you really want to get into this, I will. CHow is overrated and would be a terrible hire on our part. He cant coach with a lead and does not adjust.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

If Fisher leaves I just want to find a creative coach like Sean Payton to take over. He completely turned around a dieing franchise. He is a great coach, knows how to motivate, and utilizes his players strengths. IDK who will be available but someone like him would be welcomed.

Then get rid of Schwartz and maybe some other guys if we don't make the playoffs it might be time to clean house.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

How is it simple? Dinger was disgruntled while the offense was playing far too conservative. He and Fisher had a meeting and VOILA! all of a sudden for about 4 weeks we were scoring loads of points while actually passing.
    Then, we went right back to the same old style and sucking. What do you know, Dinger is gone soon afterwards.

The analysis may be simple, because there isn't much more to the story fella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar