Say Fisher IS fired...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

:ha:

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

The risers:

Mike Zimmer, DC, Cincinatti - I think he may want and deserve a change of scenery after this year. I think it would at least feel deserved from his org, and the Titans wouldn't have much friction about it happening.

Brian Schottenheimer - The creative offensive playcalling is what this team lacks, but I'm not sure he's the new Josh McDaniels yet, but an interesting guy. Since he's already an OC, he would have to get promoted. I guess I could also say the same thing about Kyle Shannahan.

Sean McDermott is who you are thinking of, Gunny. Filling in for Jim Johnson is admirable, and I know it doesn't matter he signed a 2-year contract, but I think he needs to marinate for a while. Besides, I don't want to just switch to a 3-4 because of a coach, but I like his ability to dial in successful blitzes.

Ron Rivera, DC, Chicago - Well, he'd love to get out of there now, I'd bet. Been hearing his name for years, and the defense would probably keep a similar personality.

My dark horse guy: Mike Muchak. I'd hate to lose him if we lost Fisher. I for some reason think he would be more successful as HC than OC, a position I don't think he'd be interested in. And maybe Washburn would be willing to play for him.

Much darker horse: Mike Heimerdinger. I know he seems like a stupid pick right now. But he was a terrific OC here once, and I think he's learned some lessons about being an absolute jerk the first time around. At the same time, he has no patience for less than perfection, and I think the whole team could use that attitude. I also know he wants to be a HC. Adams might not want to go spend big here.

The been-there-done-thats:

Gregg Williams. Know he sucked in Buffalo. But waited patiently. Move to HC is the only way to get this guy back now. I'd first make sure Washburn would play for him, but promising guy.

Mike Shannahan: Clearly want him for offensive powerhouseness since we seem to have the pieces in place. Do not want him to have any GM-abilities. Believe Fisher, if ousted, would bless (not that it truly matters) a Shannahan hiring.

John Gruden: let me say the only way I'd welcome Gruden to this team (even though I think he, too, has learned lessons from his first stint), because let's face it - ex-players are going to dog the crap out of him if he makes it back to a HC position, is if we somehow acquired Donovan McNabb from the Eagles.

Favorites: G. Williams, Mike Shannahan, Mike Zimmer (but would consider a young Schott or Shann if Young was retained next year - might need a new way of thinking if VY figures into plans beyond this year).

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I'm NOT asking for Gruden or any of these coaches, but the question was - who is a realistic possiblity if the Titans clean house. I like Gruden, but I don't think he'd be a good fit for this current team.

But I think MR and Adams would look at him because he has a successful resume and is young.

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

One more guy...

I can't think of his name right now, but the Saints OC would probably get a call as well though I'm sure Peyton is doing most of the work. But that kind of creative formations and matchups (same with Schottenheimer) is what the Offense needs (and what our D needs as well).

Gut

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Zimmer has only been DC in Cincy for a season and a half. While he may very well deserve the job I don't know about the change of scenery comment...

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

It'd be hard to fill Fishbag's stinky shoes but I think that many coaches/coordinators would love to come here.

Dinger might be a good choice because it is clear that Fish is the one holding his OCs back with Fisherball. He had some success with Steve and also in Denver so I would say that he is qualified.

Shanahan would be nice too. His resume speaks for itself. I think he would actually love to come here and it could be a great fit. It just may happen.

I would have to say no to Gruden. Sure he has had some success early on and is still a relatively young guy. But he's a j@ck@ss and he's too much. I don't see him wanting to keep any of our players around. He would totally screw things up for us.

Holmgren would be pretty sweet too. He runs a balanced team and has had great success.

7. onthemove

onthemove Guest

I'd narrow it to Rivera (He coaches at San Diego, by the way, not Chicago.), Manusky (49ers DC), Brian Schottenheimer (Jets OC) or Pete Carmichael (Saints OC).

Oh, and Big Time, how is not wanting to keep our players "screwing things up?" Weeding out our roster is the best move this team could make. I don't see why some of you believe picking and choosing our players for next year is a good thing. Their performance this season would rule out that idea.

8. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Stupid Question. :rolleyes:

Next.

9. onthemove

onthemove Guest

Good try.

Players are leaving anyway, smart guy. Settling with what we have left next year is stupid.

10. TygerNeo

TygerNeo Camp Fodder

Fish is here to stay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar