Titans, Lewan agree to contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bucky0782, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Basically. It's not a $10mil signing bonus... he's not getting that money up front. But the rookie contracts are fully guaranteed now.

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Much smaller contracts tho.

3. RavensShallBurn

I know. It's much better. Makes taking risks a whole lot easier.

4. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

I admittedly don't know a lot about NFL rookie contracts. I have a better knowledge of that for the NHL.

So their rookie contract is worth ~$10M? Damn, that's what, 4 years? Crazy.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Not exactly 10M but it's up there. No.1 overall gets 12 and everyone after gets a little less.

6. RavensShallBurn

Idk the exact contract numbers for Lewan, but yea roughly $10M over 4 years. Not crazy at all... compare it to what it used to be just four years ago and it's a miracle that's all you have to invest in a first round rookie.

2010: #1 overall pick Bradford signs a 6 year/$78M ($50M guaranteed) deal.

2014: Clowney signs a 4 year/$22M (fully guaranteed) deal.

This may literally be the only thing better about the NFL now though.

7. RavensShallBurn

Nah... Clowney got $22M.

8. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that Bradford signing and thinking WTF?

Personally I think that's a lot for a rookie, but I suppose ~2.5M/yr isn't terrible with what the cap is. I'm used to the NHL cap which is half, can't compare salaries between the sports that's for sure.

9. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I'll appreciate the pick more while Oher is on the team.

10. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

No they just tanked the following season and got the #1 overall pick and replaced their HOF QB with probably the most hyped up QB to ever come out of college.

They are practically doing the same strategy now with Andrew Luck and last I checked they are probably going to sit on top of our division. We don't really have to do that, but I do think we need to look at how we draft our players.

How many first round picks do we have that didn't live up to their draft status? How many difference makers do we truly draft on this team? At the end of the day I do believe that we remain middle-tier because we don't draft difference making talent in the draft. How many years do we all sit hear and say man a great player went right before our pick, or look at our team pass on great players like Randy Moss to draft players like Kevin FREAKING Dyson lol. I am a Titans fan through and through but you have to admit that we seriously miss more often than not when drafting. The thing that is worse than drafting non-difference makers is each year we miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 games putting us in 15-20 range to pick. Those true difference makers are generally gone more times than not. The Colts would not be who they are today without either Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck leading their teams...

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this perspective but it is in fact a different way of looking at things.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar