Runningback the league's most over rated position!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Many of the greatest backs to ever play in this league never played in a super bowl. After 7 years tomlinson is one of them. I know because i watched walter payton as great and complete a player he was go 9 years without a playoff win. Finally in year 10 the bears won a playoff game in in his 11th season he got the ring.

OJ simpson was never on a team that won a playoff game. Barry sanders, eric dickerson, curtis martin, earl campbell never played in a super bowl. Look down the list at the top 30 backs alltime in rushing yardage and tell me that having a super bowl ring was anything more than just chance. Would corey dillon have a ring if he stayed with the bengals? Did the 2000 ravens win a super bowl because of jamal lewis and priest holmes or were they just good players lucky enough to be on that team?

Teams will draft a RB even with the first pick but decent backups have proven to be as productive as many of the higher prices "stars".

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

They are not overated. They just happen to play on crappy teams or run into better teams who eventually win the Super Bowls. Teams win Super Bowls. There are also plenty of great QB's that dont win SB's, Marino for one. Individuals dont win championships, teams do. Also, truly great RB always seem to play for a teams that they are the only option,they have no support, at least when I think about them. Barry Sanders comes to mind

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Cornerback is the most overrated position.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Makes you glad that we've spent a first rounder and two second rounders on them...

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Wr or Cb is most over rated

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

FWIW, 29 out of the 43 Super Bowl Champions had great backs on their rosters when they won the big game. I tried to be fairly harsh in grading a back "great"... I did give Ricky Watters the nod though, I always liked the guy... but even though he probably deserved it a guy like Joe Morris didn't make the cut.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's easy to manipulate stats. However, try finding as many superbowl contenders as you can that didn't have a running game.
    You have to have a good running back in november and on. So I wouldn't say it's overrated.

Just so happens that the best RB's ever played on crap teams that had no other ways of executing.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

oh, and for the record - I think this guy was pretty good:
    [​IMG]

and this guy
    [​IMG]

and this guy
    [​IMG]

and this guy
    [​IMG]

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

speaking of Emmitt, the Cowboys would not have won as many Super Bowls without him

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Elway never won one until Davis came along. I bet Marino wishes the Fins would have given him a RB in his prime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar