Running Backs Judged for Plays Without Ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

I hope he's faster than the clips they showed from practice on the news last nite. He looked like he was running in lead shoes.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So what do you mean by "take off"? A Larry Johnson like performance where White or Henry starts ripping off 200 yard games after Brown couldn't even break the century mark before the "nagging" injury? That is what would have to happen to keep the other two backs on the bench IMO and I don't see anyone having that ability right except Brown. Actually give Brown the blocking Larry Johnson had and he could be pretty darn successful IMO. So would Henry. IMO White isn't going to be good enough in his rookie year to prove himself that much superior to Brown or Henry.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Brown has not proven that he can handle a full time load without breaking down, sometimes mid game. Should not count on a guy who has proven unreliable.

Granted as a Titan fan I was accustomed to EG suiting up and doing the MULE work game after game after game. So I am dissappointed in CBs inability to stay on the field.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

as long as the blocking was soooo good that he didnt get touched, he would be fine. but on the other hand he would probably pull a hammy running in to the endzone.

5. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

In all fairness Gunny he did not standup for himself in Buffalo. It may have been weak how it was handled but he should have spoken up done something to prove his worth and he fizzled out.

With CB's injuries I would be surprised not to see split back formations or multi back formations where we split the carries between the inevitable final two backs. I assume it will be White and Henry or Brown.

Less carries should equate to less injuries for Brown.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Perhaps I should clarify...

I don't see anyone on our team with 200 yards rushing in one game. However, I could see Brown getting sidelined with a pull or something, and Henry having a couple of 100 yard games. I don't think it would keep the other two "on the bench", but I think if anyone is getting 100 yards a game, they'll keep getting the vast majority of the carries. It's unlikely that White will do it as a rookie, but hey, give him a chance in the second half and he might. I could see Henry doing it, he's done it before, just not here.

I certainly don't know what's going to happen. But I can't see Brown getting all the way through the season, he's fallen apart too many times for me to have much confidence in him. I think Henry or White are more likely to make their own holes if we're having trouble with the O-line. Brown is fast if he's got blocking, but I certainly wouldn't call him a tough back that breaks a lot of tackles.

7. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

Travis henry plays for the minimum right? Or not much....so cutting him or trading him wouldn't kill us in anyway. Chris Brown may get dinged up but he knows he has got a lot to prove...so i believe he will stay healthy this year, he and lendale will compliment each other very well...And give some faith to Brown, just remember what he did in 2004...even though he did miss some games, 1067yards... and now with Lendale the backfield is loaded.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Commenting to GoTitans3801 I guess my point is if Henry has enough blocking to run for a couple of 100 yard games (or White) I would expect Brown to have equal or better success. Brown did average 4.9 YPC in 2004 with decent blocking. Last year was a joke in the trenches.

Titansfan10: saying a guy will not get hurt because he knows he has alot to prove is ridiculous. IMO Brown has played hard when he has been able to and his injuries were legit. Brown has had alot to prove for two years now. He came into the league with questions about durability and he started camp his rookie year with a hammy. The motivation level has been there to prove he could play without or through injury.

My whole point on Brown is that when Brown is healthy he is the best we have. If he isn't healthy we can play White or Henry. Still, when Brown is healthy it makes no sense not to give him his share of the carries. You don't bench a guy because he might get hurt. You do pay him less if he isn't available 100% so any extention should reflect less money than most premiere backs can get.

9. GoTitans3801

I agree that Brown is our given starter, and true, he'd probably get the most yards with equal blocking. I guess I'm trying to be more theoretical, and saying if we have problems with blocking, or if Brown goes out for a few games, I can see one of the other backs succeding. What I'm trying to say about Henry is that he seems to be better at breaking tackles and running for tough yards than Brown. This is, of course, a ridiculously difficult stat to prove, but it just looks like that to me when I see the two of them run. Brown has that threat to break a big one when he's got an open lane. Henry is more likely, in my opinion, to get that last two yards with a guy hanging onto him. Look at the end of last season for brown. No long breakaways, terrible YPC. If there isn't a hole, he gets stuffed. I feel like if we're having difficulties with run blocking, I'd rather give Henry a shot.

10. GoTitans3801

Just looking at Henry's history a bit, trying to prove my point about his running... 2002, his big year, 1400 yards, and his long for the year was 34 yards. Not one 50 yard run, and the guy still had a 4.4 ypc. He and Brown had the same YPC last year, but Brown had more long runs to bring that up, which means more runs of 1 or negative yards. I'd rather get consistent production when we can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar