Running Backs Judged for Plays Without Ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: A key factor in judging whether Chris Brown, Travis Henry or rookie LenDale White will the most playing time has to do with when they aren't touching the football -- especially on third down in passing situations. "The biggest thing a third-down running back has to have for us is the ability to pass block," running backs coach Sherman Smith said. "That’s when you get all the crazy defensive schemes. So first of all, you have to have a back who can pass block, who can recognize what they’re doing, give the quarterback time to throw the ball, and then have the ability to catch the ball." Currently, Brown is the team's best pass protector and, according to Smith, Henry and White need to improve their games in that area. "When we evaluate running backs, I think it’s real important to emphasize playing without the football," Coach Jeff Fisher said. "In order to be a complete back, you’ve got to be able to do both things, play with the ball and without the ball."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

See...Brown is #1 so far...and ya'll wanted to trade him??!

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I never wanted to trade him, but I think he does have the most trade value. I'd like to see Payton cut and probably Nash as well.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and i still do.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If the price is right I'd trade anyone

6. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

They didn't say he was our #1 back. They said he was the best at pass blocking. Big difference.

7. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

face it he is our #1 back....why can't you accept that, hes better than travis henry and lendale white, lendale white will compliment Chris Brown

8. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

I think they will compliment each other, LenDale's power and Brown's speed. Just like he did in college with Reggie Bush.

9. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

You will be suprized by Lendale's speed. I don't want to see Brown go, I just see it happening. I want to keep all of our backs. Just not gonna happen. The fact is ... he can't stay healty. I wish he could, he's a great kid.

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Yep, they'll compliment each other.......until week 5. Then Brown will compliment White when he's tired.

Seriously, I really like Brown, and I think he has potential. But he doesn't really fit our system, and I think White is going to be very, very good. (He was predicted in the Top 10 before he tore his hamstring.) I can't wait see White (along with Young) playing this preseason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar