Run game...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RTH, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTH

RTH Meh...

Hello?!

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm going to give the Cards D a little credit here. They are pretty solid but I agree it looks like the run game isn't close to fixed yet.

The best thing which can happen to Locker is to have the run game more effective.

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Its a shame they did not try to run the ball last night. Would have been fun to see that against the Cards. Guess they decided to give CJ the night off.....

4. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

Seems like they were more focused on CJ running the ball instead of us throwing the ball. Peterson for them did awful against Wright. Glad Wright showed us what he can do against a decent CB.

We got a win and that's what matters. I know it's just a preseason game, but during regular-season games, both running game, passing, & defense are not going to click every game. That's why one has to carry the other such as the game against the bucs, the running game helped us.

The passing game helped us against the cards. The defense of course played into those wins. I'm ready for Week 1, bring those pats into town.

5. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Is it just me or I feel this thread is just prime for the picking for CJ bashers....​
    In any case, as TitansJeff said, I think the Cardinals did a heck of a job in their run fits. Obviously we would have like to see more from the running game. However, any team can probably take away what another team is trying to do most. The question is can you do it in all facets of the game. You can't get something for nothing in this league. The Cards gave us headaches with their Running Defense yesterday but suffered greatly from it in the passing game. In truth the way our passing game looked the last couple of preseasons I would have game planned for our running game as well. I'm just glad that a young Jake Locker was able to step up and show teams "Yes, I can beat you with my arm and my legs".​
    Good job overall last night; great team effort! :)

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RTH

RTH Meh...

That's why I said "run game" as a whole. Blockers, scheme, and all backs. But probably will focus on CJ.

7. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

I missed the first half so most of his carries but CJ's stats look pretty disappointing. I'll be anxious to see our offensive line stats/rankings after a few weeks. If we're still dead last I'll be extremely disappointed in Munchak/Matthews and I think we need a new offensive line coach if we can't get something like this corrected even a little bit after 2 whole years that it was obvious it was horrible.

8. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Before it even starts, CJ was putting his head down and trying to go forward. There was nowhere to go. Last year, he was criticized (and rightly so) for giving up on plays and just going down rather than trying to push forward for a yard. I'm sure the CJ bashers will find some way to blame him for last night though. Not that blame needs to be on anyone for not producing while playing totally vanilla. CJ's looks explosive and determined to dance less and go north/south more this season. I'm sure many of you will blast me and call me a nutswinger for this post though.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

Fully agree, on the stretch plays the Cardinals D was attacking through the oline and were in the backfield before CJ had a chacne to do anything. But he did seem like he was running with more conviction tonight and some gains which could have been 0 or -2 yards turned into 2 yards because he took what the D gave him, instead of looking for the home run

10. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

The only negative I can say for CJ, is he still is a lot more east/west than north/south than I would like.... but, the Cards looked like they gameplanned to stuff the run solidly.

There were a couple of plays where he saw there was nothing to be gained and turned up and dove into the line to not lose yardage, so that was a definitely a positive. If he can understand that 1-2 yards is way better than -2, it will be all good.

Sometimes you just have to take what the defense gives you.

(I only got to see the first quarter and a half, so can only comment on CJ)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar