Ruby Package (3-2-6) for Titans D

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, May 30, 2012.

?
  1. (Klug, Casey, Morgan) - (Colin, Wimbley) - (Hawk, ATV, JMac) - (Grif - Tommie - Babs)

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. (Morgan, Martin, Wimbley) - (Colin, Zach) - (Tommie, ATV, JMac) - (Grif, Martin, Babs)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. (Morgan, Casey, Klug) - (Colin, Ayers) - (Hawk, ATV, JMac) - (Grif, Zach, Babs)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Other... (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I got this idea from MCM, as WinnipegTitanFan13 posed this article:

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/20...he-titans-into-the-ruby-formation#add-comment

His initial personnel choice was this:
    DL:
    Morgan-Martin-Wimbley

LB:
    McCarthy-Brown

DB:
    CB: Campbell-Verner-McCourty
    S: Griffin-Martin-Babineaux

Although, i like the idea of the Ruby package, mainly i like any 'different look' on D that keeps offenses guessing and as we move to a passing league, this formation might becoming more popular again. It could replace our pathetic 'prevent' formation that we sometimes use as well.

Anyway, here is how mine would probably look:

DL:
    Klug - Casey - Morgan

IMO Klug and Casey are better positional fits than Wimbley and Mike respectively. The DE needs more size, which Klug has, and the DT needs NFL experience, which Casey has.

These guys need to be responsible for mainly stopping the run and again i just find these three players as the best fit (I expect big things out of all three next season).

LB:
    Colin - Wimbley

I choose Wimbley over Brown for a couple of reasons. I imagine he is better at diagnosing plays and since there is only two LBs, we'll need that. Also, since there are only 3 DL, i imagine 1 of the LBs will occasionally rush the passer, which would suit Wimbley more than Brown.

Ayers could play instead of Wimbley if the staff see him as a better fit.

CB:
    Hawk - ATV - JMAC

JMac on the outside is obvious. ATV plays nickel really well. And on the outside Hawk gets the nod b/c he's at least played there a bit and did pretty well when called upon, especially for a rookie.

S:
    Griff -Tommie - Babs
    Griff and Babs on the outside as usual. I like tommie in the middle as he is a tall and lankier guy who can help with the 'over the middle' routes. He is also fast enough with his long strides to catch receivers that Grif/Babs allow completions to or other players in general that get tot he second level.

----

What you guys think? And try to vote too on the best fit, player wise, for this formation.

----

In the end though, our best defensive players and/or those with the most potential that need to play seem to be (not in any order, just the top 11):

Undisputed Top D Talent on our Roster: Casey, Klug, Morgan, Ayers, Colin, Wimbley, JMac, ATV

Guesstimating the Remaining 3 (to complete the top 11): Tommie, Zach, Mike Martin

So thats: 4DL, 4LB, 3DB....

Just Missed: Hawk, Grif, Babs. I need to see more out of Hawk, but after this year he could easily join the top 11. Our safety play sucks as of now. Grif might return to form but i honestly doubt it. Babs didn't get an off season so he gets a break i guess.

Our biggest need right now could is probably safety (over both DL and OL, assuming both lines are able to improve a little).

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Where did mr gray say he wanted to run this formation? Did u miss something.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

He already ran it last year with no off-season, so i imagine it will become a little more prevalent on obvious passing downs maybe....

-----
    Per Article:
    According to Tom, we were in the Ruby package 8% of the time last year.

Link:http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2012/5/27/3045914/jerry-gray-and-the-tennessee-titans-ruby-defense
    ------

Now, I know 8% isnt much. But with an offseason that number could grow.

And heck even if it doesnt, its the offseason bro, 8% of my favorite team's D is enough to start a thread :ha:.

At least it beats talking about all the other random ish that comes up during the 'ever so PROLONGED NFL offseason...'

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We don't have the depth to pull this off. If one of those DB's goes down, we're screwed.

And if we did use this formation, we'd have Wimbley as a LB I think. The LB's have the toughest job in Ruby.

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

This may sound a little crazy, but here is what I am proposing.

DL

Klug - Smith-Morgan

With only 3 DL and 2 LB I want to try to use some bigger guys up front to take up space and hopefully defend against the run, while not sacrificing too much on the pass rush.

I chose Smith to play the NT position since he is bigger and has a lot of experience there when he played at KC. I put Klug and Morgan on the outsides because they would be a little bigger than Wimbley or someone like that at DE, but still should have some success pass rushing.

LB

Ayers - McCarthy

I love McCarthy. I think he can provide run support as well as pass protection. He is smart and brings a lot of energy every play. I never want to take him off the field.

I also went with Ayers here because he is a solid LB that could be used to dial up some blitzes from that spot if needed. My 2nd choice here would be Wimbley, but I prefer a full time LB at this spot.

CB

JMac - ATV - Hawk

JMac and ATV are obvious choices. I went with Hawk here because of what I am doing with safety.

S

Griffin - Campbell - Zach Brown

Ok, now here is where I went a little crazy, but just for fun I thought I would think outside the box.

I am a little concerned with sacrificing a CB or LB in order to have an extra safety on the field, so what I propose for the 3 safeties is to use 1 full time safety in Griffin to provide play the more typical safety role. For the other 2 safeties, I propose we use a 'hybrid' type role for these spots....

The 1st hybrid I want to use is a CB/S hybrid in Campbell. He has the speed and range to provide the typical help of a safety, but since his natural position is CB he can always be rolled down into that spot if the offensive formation dictates.

The 2nd hybrid position I propose is a hybrid S/LB. For this role I want a S who can be used to cover the TE/RB and provide run support or even roll down into a LB spot if needed. I chose Zach Brown for this role. Zach has shown in college that he has speed and coverage abilities, but isn't necessarily a big hitter. Putting him in this spot should use his coverage strengths, while not forcing him to take on FBs and blockers like a typically LB normally does. I would play him deeper than an LB, but closer to the LOS than a S.

Keep in mind that these aren't the guys that I think should be playing every down, just in this particular package. I think using these players could give a lot of versatility from this package. You could go to 4 down lineman by letting Ayers put his hand in the dirt, or go to 3 LBs by letting Brown move down some, or shift Campbell back over to go with a 4 CB set ... or just what ever the situation dictates. Obviously I would NEVER use this as a base package or even very often. Maybe just to give the D a different look every once in a while.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

So this is basically a 3-4 with 2 undersized linebackers.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I say since the Titans are in Nashville we run the 6-1-5

6 DL

Ayers - Wimbley - Casey - Martin - Klug - Morgan

1 LB

McCarthy

5 DBs

Griffin - Babs

ATV - JMac - TC

I know its 12 people, but the refs should allow us to run it anyway haha

8. JCBRAVE

@nicksmith,

Yea, essentially. But it gets more speed on the field.

9. JCBRAVE

I'm confused. You want to take out our best defender in Wimbley and replace him with our worst defender in Smith? I don't like.

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Oh was this the crappy look we used where jones stunted the DT spot on super duper obvious passing plays near the end of the game? Basically the standing DT and would drop back... Looked like a really bad prevent d? That the only time I remember running 3 d lineman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar