Rookie Jones Learning Hands Key in NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Second-round pick Jason Jones is learning that it takes more than quick feet to be an effective pass-rusher in the NFL. "In college, I was just beating people off the ball," said Jones, who played at Eastern Michigan. "I really didn't have to use my hands." For a defensive lineman, those who use their hands the best often win the battles on the line of scrimmage. Whoever gets his hands inside first has leverage, and that leverage allows him to control the other player, either to steer him in a certain direction, or if he's the defensive player, escape the block. "He's got to lead with his hands," Defensive Line Coach Jim Washburn said, "and let his feet follow." Before each practice, Jones, William Hayes and Barry Booker work with Washburn on technique. "It's going to take a lot of practice," Jones said. "But I feel like I'm going to get there."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I've never heard of Barry Booker before. Was he a Undrafted Free Agent? Or is he a PS guy?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He was a UFA from Virginia Tech. 6-4, 285. I thought he looked good enough to challenge for a spot on the practice squad.

4. vslyke

Oh ok. We sound stacked at DL with all of young players. Maybe it would not be the end of us if Haynesworth got away.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hold up. I don't want to imply that. ;)

Jones, Hayes, and Booker are no where close right now. Each show flashes but I don't see them any more than depth right now. Ford is outplaying Hayes right now and Mookie Johnson (love hearing Washburn yet "Mookie") is better than Jones, IMO.

I think it'll be a disaster if Haynesworth isn't signed long-term even if Jones develops well.

6. vslyke

Oh it would still be very bad. But just not the end of everything. We could fill the hole but not well.

7. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

They might not be close yet, but the coaching staff has been pretty high on them. I dont' see them as anything but depth this year, but hopefully down the road we could have a couple of starters in there.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't want to lose AH no matter what but I have been real impressed with Jones and Hayes, Jones especially. Keep in mind that both those guys jumped a couple of levels in competition but both are handling themselves real well so far. Jones looks to me like he is already going to be an upgrade over Starks from week one. Hayes has the physical ability to really be something special after he develops more technique (imagine the differnce in the talent of the guys blocking him now compared to college). On a number of plays I saw Hayes drive the OT back into the QB including Stewart. He might not have gotten rave reviews by the media for those plays (they technically were not a sack) but in a game situation with AH and KVB on the other side that is all he needs to do. The QB isn't going to have much room to complete the play. I really think our DL will be getting after the QB this year and don't be surprised if Jones spells Brown fairly often on passing plays. He has natural pass rush skills and with a little refinement will be real good.

My guess is these guys will look impressive in the pre-season playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

You gotta like the fact that Washburn is so tough on them because that means he sees something in them to be successful.

Hayes seems to be struggling here and there but I would expect that from a guy making that kind of jump. It's only going to make him better going against Big Country and learning from IMO the best d-line coach in the league.

Jones seems to be coming along pretty well but needs to bulk up and work on his technique. Mookie is going to suprise this year and crack the line up next years I see big things from him. Booker will be on the ps if he clears waivers and look for Dave Ball to stick with Ford who is an athletic freak.

10. hopefully he'll surprise us better then mike williams

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar