Rolando McClain has Crohn's disease?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by xpmar9x, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I asked Kuharsky today in the chat if he's still there at 16, do the Titans still take him. He said something like, "Thornton isn't in their plans." Which says to me that they might pull the switch. How could you not even if Thornton is in the plans?

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I've got to be honest. I'm a huge McClain fan but this a serious and chronic condition that puts him at risk for other health related problems. Also, he will have flares during his training/career causing him to miss valuable time. I would be resistant to using a #16 overall pick on him, especially if there are players equal to, or slightly less than, his value rating.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

McClain is a good prospect for sure, but he's not elite. He has good size and good instincts, but he's no Patrick Willis or Jon Beason. He doesn't have top-end speed from sideline to sideline and he doesn't lay the wood like the best linebackers in the league do.

When you add in the fact that he has this disease and it at risk of missing time, I'm not sure he's worth the 16th pick.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I don't think i'd pick him at #16 but as for his health, look at Cutler...the guy has type 1 diabetes and still plays at a very high level. I can attest to diabetes really taking a toll on someones body and mind...

I am not that familiar with Crohn's disease but I say we take a good look at McClain.

5. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

poor guy, that's rough

wish him well and I'd love to have him

6. vy102000

vy102000 Camp Fodder

chron's disease isn't that big of a deal, it rarely flares up and after a little research, Titans shouldn't let it stop them from taking him if he's there at 16

7. vy102000

vy102000 Camp Fodder

Could you fix your sig, u spelled Cortland wrong

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thinking about this health issue had me wondering maybe this is why he went to Alabama as apposed to a USC, Texas or Florida type of school, but then I realized he's a home town kind of guy. That's why he went to Alabama, he didn't lose interest anywhere, he simply stayed close to home. And Alabama is a fine team anyways. Then I was wondering about if his condition worsens would he need surgery to remove the intestines. Now even if he did have a doctor remove it, he'd still be big enough to play linebacker. Right now he's over 250, so he may even benefit from a surgery knocking some pounds off.

I like the guy regardless of whether he has a this disease or not. He's big, fast, physical, and more important a smart leader for his team. If he's there at 16 I want him.

I mean really, the worst that happens is he has diarrhea often. Keep him hydrated and he'll be alright.

Does anyone know if being hit in his stomach would cause anything to rupture inside? Because if so, I'd maybe back off. But he played LB in the SEC where he must have taken some shots to the gut from blockers. Also is he fully black? I've noticed David Garrard doesn't seem like a black guy on the phone. African-Americans don't typically get this problem. It's more of a Jewish thing. (Don't think I am racist, my 2 best friends are a black midget and 6'2" Puerto Rican)

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No- it really can be a problem. It has associated conditions that can affect the eyes, skin and the joints among other organs. It can be held under control with medicines, which have some troublesome side effects as well. It is an auto-immune condition in which the immune system attacks organs, primarily the intestines. Physical and emotional stress can often trigger flares of the immune system.

I am a huge fan of McClain- I like his skills and especially his mental approach. But at #16, we need a lower risk player- especially since we staff our team through the draft. I honestly didn't know he had Crohn's disease until this pro-day.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Lucky for him he'll be an NFL franchisees employee, where he will get the best help to control his condition.

And I don't think anyone outside of the Alabama locker room knew.

If you had merely heard he had Crohn's and no one saw him bought to his knees, would you still be scared off by it?

I think with the abundant resources we could end up having at LB, at 16 he's worth the pick to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar