Rod Smith Persuaded Titans To Draft Britt?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by soopacee, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

The Titans selected Rutgers wide receiver Kenny Britt in the first round of this past weekend's NFL Draft after he received a glowing recommendation from Rod Smith. Smith, a three-time Pro Bowler with 14 seasons of NFL experience, worked out with Britt prior to the draft and helped Tennessee offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger with the decision. Heimerdinger spent time with Smith in Denver. "I'd do anything for Mike," said Smith. "Trust me, I know for a fact if Mike Heimerdinger didn't come into my career when he did there would be no two Super Bowl rings for me and everything else I had in my career. I tell him that all the time. So Kenny couldn't be going to a better spot. I learned everything from Mike, and now Kenny's going to get it first-hand himself. They're going to be great for one another."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090429/SPORTS01/904290431/1027/sports01

2. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

I dunno if Smith outright persuaded Dinger to do it. I'm pretty sure the Titans liked him a lot from his visit from what I've read and heard. I'm sure they have enough knowledge between the two of them to make the right pick.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He contributed, by providing a good endorsement. It's a good story though.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The more and more I see on this Britt dude, the more I believe Mel Kiper's opinion of him is more accurate. Mel see's Britt as the Rookie of the Year in 2009. Of course Todd McShay doesn't agree, but he's half retarded anyways. I always support Tennessee's decisions, but I wont lie I was a little confused when they grabbed Britt at 30. I'm sure it will workout for everyone, but as for Rod Smith being the deciding factor as to whether the Titans picked him I'd have to say; he made it easier for them to draft Britt. The story I've heard is that Heimerdinger asked Smith to make Britt 'that guy' so that Tennessee would draft him.

5. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I think Britt has all the tools to be a good WR. I just wouldn't peg him as rookie of the year because I doubt he will see the playing time and get the catches this season.

6. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

So if Britt happens to be a bust,then Rod Smith is the guy we should blame not the Titans front office for pulling the trigger.

7. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

i hope britt can step in right away and help out this team. ROY honors is going to be pretty hard to get but i guess that depends on how many rookies actually play this year

8. smili

smili Starter

I like that the article says Smith worked with both Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal prior to their drafts - so he knows what good receivers should look like at this stage. good article

9. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

Does anyone know if Smith worked with any other WR drafted this year, like any Denver had in to visit? Or did Dinger just ask him personally to look at Britt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar