Rod Gardner Released by Panthers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titantonic, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

Gardner was released Friday. I wonder if the Titans might take a peek along with Wade. Gardner did almost nothing in Carolina after they traded for him. Seemed to have a world of potential but he has struggled for some reason.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah

all things being equal

if Wade and Gardner would have shown up at the same time
    i might have picked Gardner first

3. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm guessing they bring Gardner in for a look-see....give him a workout, then choose between him and Wade.

4. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Gardner should not be subjected to the waiver process since he's vested. He will get to choose his situation, and he may get a chance to go somewhere where the team is competitive right now.

I would think the Titans would be interested in getting a look at him, but I'm not sure the feeling will be mutual.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Panthers are 9-4 and in the middle of a SB run. If Gardner was worth a bowl of beans they would not have released him. Gardner only caught 9 passes in 13 games. The guy must stink. I know we are desperate for WRs right now but I would almost rather have a younger guy like OJ Small and see what he can contribute.

6. nendzone

I don't think either Gardner or Wade showed much if they got released by playoff-contending teams. I also don't know if either one is really considered a longterm prospect here.

But given a choice between the two in having an experienced WR to try to blend in over the final three games? (Clearly Reese's agenda, since he said they were trying to poach another team's practice squad receiver for the active roster before seeing Wade was waived and claiming him) I might prefer Gardner. This is a guy who had caught at least 45 passes for at least 600 yards in each of his seasons in Washington (including a 1,000 yard/70 catch season). He has 23 career touchdown receptions, too.

7. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

There is no doubt the guy has some ability. You could even say he has shown exceptional abillity at times, but he really bombed out in NC. Could be a systematic thing, who knows. I do think he is better than any receiver we have active right now with the possible exception of Bennett, and I'm not sure he's not better than Drew.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Doesn't strike me as worth bringing in a vet this late in the season. Not even for next year. As far as Gardner's ability goes, it seems Carolina just wasn't for him.

9. nendzone

Don't see it as any different from bringing in Wade or (as Reese was about to do) signing a guy from some other team's practice squad. Unless you think those guys really stand a chance of being contributors next year, too.

The money is inconsequential. It's not like if you save an extra $30K now (roughly the difference between 3 vet minimum game checks and 3 third-year minimum game checks), you can carry it over to next year.

10. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson Camp Fodder

i don't think that they will, after letting him go because of a poor season they will look for someone bigger and better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar