Robin Williams dead at 63

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SawdustMan, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I see your point but there is at least one fundamental difference. With an addict you can at least say that person, at one point, chose to go down that road. People do not choose to be mentally ill.

Regardless, I just don't understand why some people feel so compelled to place judgment on the deaths of others. Alex keeps using words like "absolve" and "give a pass to". WhoTF are we to be doing that in the first place? Takes some balls to think you have any place making those kind of determinations. Particularly when you're talking about a person you've never even met and whose life to which you have zero insight.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Suicide is totally preventable via not killing oneself.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

In case you were still wondering, this ^ is why people are calling him insane/dumb nick.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Oh okay, so it's his daughter's fault he killed himself. Got it.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

I have never been personally effected by suicide, but a very close friend of mine, her mother did commit suicide back when we was in HS.

That wrecked her. She went from one of the most high spirited people I've ever known, to now in and out of rehab.

Her mother did not just end her life, she destroyed her own daughters life. That's selfish.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

On the flip side of that I know several people whose parents killed themselves and they are fine, well-adjusted people. At some point personal responsibility has to come into play.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Did I say that?

No.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

ROLL DAMN TIDE

9. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Ya'll even know he was a virgin until he was 28? And now.... Roll Tide. WHOOOOO

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

No one is arguing this, and no one is arguing that it isn't 'selfish'. What you two, well atleast RT Jr, are not understanding is how this line of thinking is damaging to people that suffer from depression.

People with severe depression do not think the same way others do when they are going through an episode. I've been to the point were I thought my parents wanted nothing to do with me, which is absolutely asinine when I get over it. It is painfully obvious Alex cannot relate to someone going through episodes by his comments. It is very 'reasonable' for someone suffering through an episode to believe their family is better off without them.

The thing Alex doesn't understand, is that you just can't think yourself out of an episode. How does an incredibly charitable man, commit such a 'selfish' act? And why does that destroy his legacy? Robin Williams was anything but selfish, this *should* open peoples eyes and make them think, oh hey, maybe mental illness is more serious than we thought. Veteran suicide are also at high rates. Why are these people, who are largely considered to have done one of the most selfless acts you can do, have such a high rate of suicide? The funny thing is, it isn't even connected to combat.

Alex keeps saying he has lost loved ones to suicide, and that is sad. But it doesn't make him any more en lighted on the subject than what it is like to give birth because he has known pregnant women. His comparisons are outlandish and he is doing more than recycling phrases he has heard before. Maybe it is his way of dealing with grief, I don't know. I do know he has no idea what he is talking about.

This isn't a black and white issue, Alex is trying to paint a simple picture for a complex question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar