RIP Tony Gwynn

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CRUDS, Jun 16, 2014.

1. CRUDS

CRUDS TRADE DOWN Tip Jar Donor

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Straight Ridah

Man he was an amazing player. And such a winning personality. Always smiling.

RIP
  3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 Pro Bowler

Seemed like an amazing player on and off the field. Sucks losing guys like this so young.
  4. A.D.

A.D. Thank you, Bud. R.I.P. Staff

There was a time when I was a baseball fan and in my opinion, Gwynn was the best pure hitter I ever saw (modern era players, not including film of old-timers). Better than Carew or Boggs, who were the only other two that I'd put in the same conversation with Gwynn.

I haven't watched baseball since the players went on strike, sometime in the mid-90s, so I have no idea if there's been anyone as good since then.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  5. The Hammer

Ichiro Suzuki maybe
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Like A.D., my love for all things MLB took an ugly turn after the strike. I catch the occasional Braves game but don't follow the game anything like I did before the strike.

For those who want to read about how amazing and respected Gwynn was, read George F. Will's "Men at Work: The Craft of Baseball". He has an entire section on Gwynn and his muscle memory skills. Though it has been some 20 years since I read it, I still remember Will making a case for Gwynn being the greatest hitter since Ted Williams.
    • High Five High Five x 2
  7. 520

520 Starter

Never much of a baseball fan but loved playin the games on original p.s. n gwynn was my fav guy to hit with
  8. Dman

Dman Starter

Derek Jeter!
  9. Dman

Dman Starter

RIP Tony Gwynn........ amazing player and good guy from what I hear. Died way to young. I loved to watch this guy hit.
  10. The Hammer

:crazy: