RIP Philip Seymore Hoffman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Hammer, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

A hardcore opiate addict will die if they stop suddenly. Heroin and other opiates have a very high physical dependance along with psychological dependance. Cocaine, which has almost no physical dependance, can be stopped cold turkey with only minor side effects.

The trouble is the best pain killers are opiates. Not too dissimilar to heroin in the first place. Morphine for instance is used extensively in hospitals. Oxycontin comes in pill form and is prescribed a lot as a pain killer. It is also sold on the streets. I know someone who was in a car accident that took Oxy for the pain for two weeks. He had to go on methadone to reduce his addiction to it.

In my area at one point heroin pretty much disappeared for a long time. People were buying Oxy and Percocet illegally instead as they are safer than heroin. Through a combined effort from law enforcement, big pharm and the medical profession the amount of Oxy and Percs on the street plummeted. Problem solved right?

Wrong! Out of nowhere heroin made a comeback. And it was the hospitals that caught it first. All of a sudden they were seeing a crazy number of heroin ODs. The junkies needed their fix. And they turned to heroin when they could no longer get Oxy and Percs.

An article which explains: www.therecord.com/news-story/2611410-regional-agencies-see-sharp-rise-in-heroin-use-overdoses/

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

1) in 2014 - 90%
    2) Once you have done opiates for a bit your brain stops making "happy". A commitment to treatment is a commitment to being a miserable ***** for at least a few years before neurons remap. That's a hard road and good god the treatment drugs (subs) are worse than the addiction drugs..

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

That is untrue.
    You'll just feel like you did.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Yeah, posted that while I was posting.

It's nice to think that way, but far, far too often it's simply not that cut and dry.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Really? I have heard you can die. Coma maybe?

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

my father in law is a retired cop.. He said he can't wait for the legalization of pot. He's constantly taking Lortabs for some serious back pain after multiple surgeries.

Funny to hear that after having a 30 year career of arresting potheads.

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

Maybe depends on the person and how they react. Dunno. Heard that too, though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

You "can" die.. Blood pressure goes up. I can't personally think of an instance where I've heard of death happening (other than suicide)..

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Pot being legal is good for cops too..
    Ask him how he would feel if he stopped taking the Lortabs for a coupla days..

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yeah, I get the 'script opiate addiction thing. Didn't think it led so often to heroin abuse. I guess you learn something every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar