RIP Philip Seymore Hoffman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by The Hammer, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yes.

Never to the point that it would kill me. Getting drunk once in awhile is one thing. Shooting heroin often ends up as a death sentence, is illegal, and stupid, by most peoples' sensibilities.

Alcoholism is a bad thing
    Dependence on prescription drugs is a bad thing.
    Heroin can kill you in a few doses, and it is clearly trouble from the very first time you stick the needle in.

2. RTH

RTH Meh...

Yes. Self control... When you're addicted. Life isn't that black & white. Sorry.

Did he commit suicide or simply OD?

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Heroin is FAR cheaper than oxycontin and it's well easy to get..
    "Self control" as a prescribed method to avoid addiction as a blanket statement is naive.
    You just gotta live it a bit..

4. nickmsmith

ok, about the costs. Never looked it up

Self Control is the power or conscience to not ever start doing heroin.. Not that you can just "self-control" your way out of an addiction.

If someone offered me heroin.. I would say no. Because it's well known that it kills people in short order. To me, it's common sense. Everyone who starts heroin in the USA knows how vicious it can be.. and with any self-control.... should be able to decline the offer.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

A "few doses" of heroin is not what kills you. It's ONE dose that does it. It's not regulated so the strength and makeup varies wildly.

6. nickmsmith

see:
    Self control, IMO: When someone says "Hey man! This stuff has a good chance of killing you, but it feels good." And saying no to that.

I am aware of people being addicted to opiates, who started for legitimate reasons. I won't stick up for heroin abuse, for any reason. It's plain horrible.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

LOL - run with that a while then.
    It simply does not work that way.
    Nobody just randomly walks up to a street dealer out of the blue and says "Hook me up my man, I'm gonna try some heroin today!"
    You hurt your back, get cancer whatever the cause of pain may be - you get treated with opiates and the brain does a complete about face.
    Common sense and control got not a f***in thing to do with it..

8. nickmsmith

I clearly don't understand the mindset, as you can tell.
    What percentage of heroin addicts started from an innocent, legitimately prescribed, opiate addiction, you think? I would assume a significant portion of heroin users are just guys wanting to get high. Not that it is not a tragedy for all involved.

People have the choice. That is why many people seek help (like Hoffman did, obviously) I'm not saying it is easy, once you're in the cycle of it. and it's a shame it ends in death, a lot of times.

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

Conveniently overlooking what I said and Cruds said about how a lot don't start out with heroin. The addiction can be started rather ambiguously by a prescribed medication. If a person isn't already addicted to something, I hardly believe they just up and shoot heroin one day...

10. nickmsmith

see above post. Did not ignore that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar