Right Time for Plaxico Burress?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

So I see Plaxico is released, Kenny Britt is in the news for obstruction while he was trying to make a blunt the object of a vanishing act, and Randy Moss is gone.

With Chris Palmer our OC, the obvious questions are, "Will Palmer vouch for Burress since he knows the offense, and will the Titans be a logical landing place for him?"

I think maybe.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I hope not, when hes not shooting himself in the leg or going to con college he still couldn't stay on the field. Thats how he earned the nickname 'plexigalss'

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't see it happening but I suppose it's a possibility. I wouldn't mind signing him for depth but I don't see him playing at a very high level. 34 years old. Out of the league for 2 seasons. Sounds like a recipe for disappointment to me.

4. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

I think Burress is somebody they would have to consider if only because of the Palmer and Burress Giants connection.

But, on the flip side:

o How would signing Burress fit into Munchak's vision of character, especially since he's already having character issues with Britt

o Burress is not in football shape and the question remains if and how long will it take for him to get back to the player he used to be?

o Burress also represents a short-term fix because of his age, a fix that would make more sense for a team in playoff contention not a re-tooling team with a developing core nuclues.

But, I agree that a WR should be atop their FA wish list, unless they are very confident in the potential of D. Williams.

Steve Smith WR for the Giants would be ideal in my eyes.
    He would provide the same scheme familiarity with Palmer as Burress and Smith is younger, but its the Giants likely want to re-sign.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/wr.html
    Here some of the 2011 FA WRs:

Early Doucet (ARZ)
    Brian Finneran (ATL)
    Donte' Stallworth (BAL)
    TJ Houshmandzadeh (BAL)
    Rashied Davis (CHI)
    Devin Aromashadu (CHI)
    Chansi Stuckey (CLE)
    Sam Hurd (DAL)
    Jacoby Jones (HOU)
    Mike Sims-Walker (JAC)
    Kevin Curtis (MIA)
    Hank Baskett (MIN)
    Greg Lewis (MIN)
    Lance Moore (NO)
    Courtney Roby (NO)
    Derek Hagan (NYG)
    Darius Reynaud (NYG)
    Brad Smith (NYJ)
    Johnnie Lee Higgins (OAK)
    Legedu Naanee (SD)
    Ben Obomanu (SEA)
    Laurent Robinson (STL)
    Danny Amendola (STL)
    Mark Clayton (STL)
    Maurice Stovall (TB)
    Santana Moss (WAS)

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Simms-Walker...easy.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Heck no. If the Titans are going to go after a free agent WR, they need to either shoot for the moon with a young, high upside guy like Braylon Edwards or Sidney Rice or else play it safe with an old, reliable guy like Santana Moss.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I've got no faith in Burress, but that's on par with how I feel about most of the free agent list. Plus, if the Titans cut Gage...

Compared to Britt, who hasn't apparently learned his lesson yet, it's probably pretty safe to bet that Burress will at least keep his head down while at least trying to work hard.

I'm not thrilled about the idea in general, but from the standpoint of having a should-be starter making the headlines repeatedly for all the wrong reasons, losing, after underutilizing, a future HOF, being shouldered with, after committing to, a FA receiver who barely fills the 2nd receiver spot, and probably losing a starter who started more than his due share, as well as given the height of three of those four -- eh, it's worth bringing up, especially during the worst offseason in years.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There are 7 free agent WRs who are definitively better than Burress ever could be. Is this a serious discussion?

James Jones, Steve Smith and Steve Breaston would be guy we could get without breaking the bank.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ed your list does not include James Jones, Steve Breaston, Steve Smith(giants), Sidney Rice? All are without contracts.

10. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I'd love to take a chance on Steve Smith depending on the price. His injury scares me, and he was never that explosive to begin with. But he's got good hands, runs good routes, and most importantly, he moves the chains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar