Ridiculous salaries..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

but what's sad is that it's not a question of how much these guys are earning. They seem to me to be more concerned with how much the next guy is earning. There is no tolerance for that in the American work place. I bet if a paycheck stub turned up in a waste paper basket in most workplaces it might be of concern for management. At the very least they would sit someone down and explain that they can't be having that, even if it was an accident and in the future to be more careful. A lot of work places consider discussions about compensation as grounds for dismissal. Not that they would want to and I would think that more often than not they would choose not to due to the high costs associated with replacing an employee, but the business world knows that such pettiness is a recipe for disaster. It's kinda too bad that these contracts become front page news.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

burress ins't complaining that he doesn't make enough money. what he sees are guys like berrian, jevon walker and jerry porter getting these $55+ million deals and he wants some because he knows he's a better player than those guys.

i can't blame him. wouldn't you be mad if guys at your job made more money than you while being less productive?

3. reo

reo Starter

Who cares? Get what you can get when you can get it imo.

That being said, its not about needing the money and really wanting more money just b/c they want money usually... with most players their contract signifies to the world how good their team thinks they are so when player A gets a new contract and then player B's team won't match it then to them its like their team is saying A is better than B. A lot of it is about respect. And all NFL players, in order to be good, have to be extremely competitive.

Plax is seeing how much money Moss and TO are getting and with the Giants not willing to pay him like that, to him its like saying Moss and TO are better than him.... which imo they are since Plax is one of the most overrated WRs in the leauge... but that's beside the point.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Player=personal privacy gone.

Can't even put a price on that.

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Oh I agree..
    But I'm more overwhelmed at the salaries NFL players are making nowadays rather than focusing on a certain case, whereas the Plaxico case was used as an example.

Gameday tickets nowadays are costing much more than they used to and the average fan is finding difficulty keeping up with the sport which he has grown addicted to over the years. I'm sure reducing player salaries would do alot in terms of passing the savings on to the fans.

At this pace, the NFL will evolve into a sport which only the wealthy can afford to enjoy 10 or 15 years from now.

6. Wanna bet? I'd trade my basic privacy for $1M a year... :ha:

7. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Pitbull, I'm not sure what business you are in, but I'm sure a lot of your (or your place of employments) customers wish they could get your product for a lower cost. Are you willing to forego 1/2 your market determined salary in order to enable each customer to save 50% on each product they buy?

If your goal is to reduce ticket costs, you will need to reduce demand. Until that happens, we will need to be willing to accept the costs associated with our beloved sport. In fact, I believe the harder it becomes to get into a game, the more we will appreciate each Sunday that we are fortunate enough to be in attendance.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's easy to say "they're spoiled" when you have an average job that pays the average salary. However, if your company only had only 1,696 employes and makes BILLIONS upon BILLIONS - Don't think you wouldn't expect to be paid for that.
    It's actually a small earning when looking at the money the league makes. Or - even looking at how much a team makes. When the average salary is 1.2 million or so, and you're one of the most important pieces to your company - why wouldn't you make more? Isn't that how it works in every profession? If you're vital to your company's success, they're going to pay you for it. If not, a rival company will. And understanding this makes it reasonable for you to walk out the door if they don't pay up.

Entertainers get paid a lot. Because WE pay a lot to be entertained. It's just the way it is. Musicians, Movie stars, Athletes. Sure, it looks like they get paid too much to be whining when looking at our own salary, but if you do the math it's as fair as you wanting to be paid what you should be at your own job.

I make more than our janitor. I think that's fair. My boss makes more than me. That's fair.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

As long as they produce on the field and give their best I don't care. The money of a team goes from the hands of the fan to a check for a player. Right now I'll pay to see them.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

While I think there salaries are crazy high as well, there are two points that justify it (at least some) to me.

1) Playing in the NFL is a limited career. At best, the best player is only going to make 12-15 years (excluding K/P). The average I think is under 3 years in the NFL or something. So they have to make as much as they can in that time if a player wants to stay mainly retired after NFL career is over.

2) Life expectancy drops significantly if you are an NFL athlete. Massive toll on the body. Injuries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar