Rice @ Baptist Sports Park

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by #90, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Doesn't exactly sound promising...

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sign rice now..

And maybe not sign haynesworth after this season? Sign rice now and maybe lose david stewart? Jacob bell? Not worth it to me.

As jeff pointed out there are a lot of guys who will be FAs at the end of this year and an equal number in 08.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

And a lot of them are far from proven or necessary key players.

We have the cap room and a lot of them will not break the bank.

Of the list I would say Bell and Hall and Hentrich are the only ones who can feel safe about being offered a contract.
    The rest need good seasons.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Those cap numbers don't include..

Harper-herndon-scott-fowler-gage-moulds and of course all our draft picks.

Some of those guys will get cut at the bottom of the roster opening up maybe $1.5M or so but when all is said and done we will have maybe $8-9M in cap money when the season starts and i don't want to spend it all on rice..

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff..

I'm not arguing with you here just asking; you really think that we will need over $10 in bonus money to get rice? Bennett's deal was for 5 years rice's deal would be for three years at the most.

If rice signs a three year deal even for the vet minimum with a $10M bonus that means if we decide to cut him next year we will endure a cap penalty of $3.3M a year for 2 years after!

6. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

If the Colts can keep Manning, Harrison, Freeney, Tarik Glenn, Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Addai, Booger McFarland, Bob Sanders, and Vinatieri, in addition to their other guys and rookies, etc. when they're near the bottom as far as cap-space, we should be able to find a way to add Simeon Rice for a couple years before he retires and keep who we want, being that we're near the top of that list and have nowhere near their top 5 contracts. Vince, Bulluck, and Hope make the most, I believe, but I just don't see how we could possibly be scraping for money and why we can't take some chances on guys at WR and DE, our admitted areas of weakness.

I mean, guys are going to leave and/or retire from us as well, are they not? (Pacman, Mawae, Olsen, Harper, Hentrich, Herndon--and Bulluck doesn't have all the time in the world, you know?) So it's not like it just keeps building and building regardless. I'm not a huge Simeon Rice fan, but seeing as how he's probably our last shot at adding a first team player until *next offseason*--why not take a chance?

7. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

No Contract Talks with Rice

SUMMARY: DE Simeon Rice came to town, had a physical, met with Titans coach Jeff Fisher, then left by the afternoon. A contract offer was not made and the results of the physicians were not immediately known. "He came in, our doctors looked at him and we visited," Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt said. "I think the important thing with any veteran player is you kind of have to get a feel for where he is in his career and what is important to him and how he wants to fit in. I think he thinks he'd fit in well, and he's had a heck of a career. If it is important to him to try and fit in, that is a big part of it right there." Reinfeldt said the Titans "wouldn't talk contract until we got a good indication on everything. … Everything has to be right with it. It is something that is important, but I am not sure it's going to happen immediately."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

8. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

So when did we get a NFL league on Jupiter's 4th moon? :rimshot:

Or is that just a slang for NFL Europe?

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Rice is worth more than a $10 mil SB in a three-year deal. But I think he'll get much more if he's healthy based on the outrageous stuff we saw paid this summer.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The point is, if many on that list are not on the roster, you have to assume some will be free agents brought in with long-term contracts which means needing a pretty good amount of cap space over the next three seasons.

I think $10-$15 mil a year is reasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar