Rice @ Baptist Sports Park

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by #90, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

But were they second-tier players at his age? No matter how good Rice still is, he's 33, he won't be playing for another 4-5 years, imo.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm guessing that's not too far off. A 5 year deal with $15-18 mill guaranteed for the 1st 3 years. Spread the hit over 5 to soften the load & if needs be, we can cut him loose in the 4th year for a manageable figure.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You have to also consider that all three of our 3rd year WRss will be UFAs after next year (along with Roos, Finnegan and Lowry) . If a couple of those guys step up we will also have to deal with re-signing them. That might seem a long way off right now but the more core guys we can get under contract now the easier it will be to sign some of those guys. Having all these young guys come into the league a couple of years ago means they all become RFAs or UFAs at the same time. They need to use every dime of CAP room they have left to extend as many of these core guys as they can and count as much of the bonus money on this year as possible.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I don't see him getting more than a 3-yr deal which drops the guaranteed money a lot.

3 years, $5m Signing Bonus, $1m roster bonus in 07 and 08, $3m roster bonus in 09. Base salary of $4.5m this year.

Makes him cutable after next season, and we get two good years out of him.

Cap hit this year around $7.5m.

His Agent can sprout that he got $10m in guaranteed money.

5. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Im shaking right now. I reallllly want him

6. Tez

Tez Camp Fodder

Ok, but There is us, The Giants (who didn't even offer him a deal), and ??? vying for his services. The less competition there is, the lower the market price. Also, many teams have already spent much of their cap money.

But then again, I could be way off-base... just thinking out loud :)

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

... and that's probably why Fisher is acting like he's barely heard of Rice and the fact that he's in town. I don't think we need to break the bank for him, but at this point in the season with only a few teams seriously in the market for a DE with enough cap room I think we could get a relative bargain for Rice. It's easier to negotiate a massive contract when you still have a job and are coming off a career year. Rice is recovering from an injury, coming off his worst year as a pro, and currently is unemployed as teams are already looking at preseason.

8. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Im not sure if you guys seen it or not but go into the thread called Simeon Rice. I posted some good news.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Very true. Just thinking about that yesterday. We only have the following players on contract beyond the end of 2009:

Vince
    Hope
    Givens
    Thornton
    Fowler
    Griffin

That'll be a lot of turnover in the next three years. The Titans need to keep a lot of cap cleared over the next few seasons. I think I've heard $10 - $15 mil under a year as the goal from Reinfeldt which allows them to sign who they want and have a little to fill holes via free agency.

Anyone know where we stand right now on the cap?

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Good question... I read that at the beginning of March we had about $18.5M, but I don't know if that included Henry/Bennett - but I believe that did include the rookie pool money. The "big" signings were Chris Brown, Fowler, Herndon, and Moulds (am I missing anyone?). I can't remember if we've extended anyone currently on the roster or not.

So, depending on whether that number included Henry/Bennett I'm guessing we have either $12M-ish or several million more (what were their cap figures going to be this year?), but I'm fairly sure it's more. I think we'll only look to extend a handful of the key coming FAs and the rest will be a wait-and-see for next year... So if we have $15-$20, then I think we can do Rice and still shore up some extensions. Otherwise, we'll need to get a bargain on Rice, which I think is possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar