Report: Holt to visit Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Jim Wyatt reports free agent wide receiver <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1757" target="_new">Torry Holt</a> will <a href="http://tennessean.com/article/20090331/SPORTS01/90331018/1002/SPORTS" target="_blank">visit the Titans</a> later this week.</p> <p>Holt has been to Jacksonville, and the Titans and Jaguars are believed to be the teams most interested in his services.</p> <p>Things have moved slowly so far, and he's believed to be seeking more money than either team is willing to pay.</p>

More...

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. DCMobInc

DCMobInc R.I.P Air McNair #9

Good news to say the least.

Any one know how much he is seeking?

We've not had much luck with bringing in veteran receivers in the recent past, but I'm certain Holt wouldn't fall into the Carl Pickens and Yancey Thigpens that we've had to endure.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The more time that goes by the lower the price.

I'm glad the jags are cheap like we are.

Do we want holt lined up wide for us or against us 2X this season?

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I don't think it's SO much that both teams are cheap, but it's likely both teams can get a great WR prospect in rnd 1. Both teams are run first teams so they aren't gonna spend 8mil a year on any WR.

This will be interesting because the Jags are more desparate, but could have a shot at Crabtree or more likely Maclin. But they also need help in other spots and potentially could take a QB if either fell.

The Titans signed Washington to be our #2 so we don't have a great need for a #1...but we don't have much quality Depth and adding Holt slides everyone down...improving quality AND depth. Also gives us great flexibility in what to do with our first/2nd rnd picks.

If the Titans can get him for an incentive laden deal, I'd do that. For example, give him a base of 4mil/yr with incentives that could go as high as 8mil/yr (if he has 70 catches, 1000yds, 10 TD's, pro bowl, make it to the Super Bowl). Give him a 3 year contract and call it good.

Sticking points are probably structure of contract (he won't want incentives coming to a running team, we will), SB (he'll want more guaranteed, we'd want less), # of years (he'll want 5 and we'd want 2-3).

We have the cap room to get him, we should do so as long as he's not costing us 8mil with a ridiculous SB and that 8mil is based on salary, not incentives!

Gut

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:trophy:

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Let's hope that once he gets a sniff of a winning atmosphere, he decides he's made all the visits he needs to make and he signs immediately.

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Does anyone know how much cap room we have remaining as of today?

8. Stephenson

Stephenson Camp Fodder

Give him everything!

9. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 8
  10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

He's still worth a good chunk of change, and it's becoming clear that there aren't enough teams with interest for him to really demand what he might be worth.

The T.O. deal is about the only other comparable thing on the market this year, which was 1-year $6.5M. Holt has more upside than T.O., is 3 years younger, and comes with no baggage. In my mind that makes a 4-5 year deal with a base of around 5-6 million plus incentives with around $15M in guaranteed money pretty reasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar