Remember when everyone wanted Haynesworth kicked off the team?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Al was forced to get help as part of his suspension. I believe Pacman is doing this as well as part of his.

Again, I don't see a lot of differences here beyond one being smart enough to look humble before the fans and media which has led to a change in public opinion.

2. TitanJeff

Good article on that today. The franchise tag will be around $6.8 million. I might be willing to do this if we have the room because it gives us some bargaining power and another year to see if he is for real.

And yes, as long as he's under contract, he can be traded.

If he continues to play at this level, no way the Titans allow him to hit the market.

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

There's a good little piece in the Tennessean today, I can't find it on their website, where Fisher says the Titans don't miss Pacman and he says he is hestitant to mess with the locker room chemistry by bringing him back this year.

4. mdfan

mdfan Starter

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710120408

5. alzarius

alzarius Guest

Come on now, look at who wrote the article. Dont think that title is just a little misleading lol?

Also, in that same piece Fisher was political "we have moved on and have players playing". Everyone knows the Fisher game by now.

And although he is hesitant to mess with the locker room chemistry, he also

Quote:
    But we are going to wait and see what happens at the league office level and then we'll revisit things and make a decision.'

To sum that article up, Fisher and the team will focus on what they have and work with pac or against pac when it can be an actual decision and not speculation.

Also, look how it starts off

Locker room chemistry could be a factor when the Titans decide whether suspended cornerback Pacman Jones rejoins the team, Coach Jeff Fisher said Thursday.

If Fisher stated it, it would read

Locker room chemistry is going to be a factor when the Titans decide whether suspended cornerback Pacman Jones rejoins the team, Coach Jeff Fisher said Thursday.

Fisher also said "it would be a hard choice". If he was not missed and not wanted/needed, it would be an easy choice...

Like it or not, if Pac is reinstated, Fisher will get him on the field. He may sit him one week to prove a point but they dont leave playmakers on the sidelines. Itll be interesting to see how everyone reacts.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

There is a difference between simply going through the motions as part of a mandated counseling and really wanting help. Pacman has stated he isn't going to change for anybody. Haynesworth actually got help. I don't know if his sessions with Chuck Smith were counted as part of his anger management but Smith was able to teach him not only how to control his anger but how to be a better player. Haynesworth really wanted to change and understood that his porblem was going to ruin him.

Also it is not fair to say Haynesworth was "smart enough to look humble" as if you or anyone else really knows if he was sincere. I think so far from what we have seen with his increased work ethic and modified behavior he MUST have been sincere for this much change to take place.

We can only hope Paman wakes up and does the same thing. IMO Pacman might still not be beyond even admitting his behavior is wrong.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

:applause:

8. TitanJeff

Show me the quote. I believe this sentence alone is totally taken out of context to the entire statement he made.

I also believe Pacman took out an entire full-page ad in The Tennessean which stated:

Do I think he wrote this himself? Heck no. But I also think Haynesworth got the same advice as to how to handle himself in order to say the right things.

Which is what I've said from the start. It's about public perception. Al was smart enough to follow the advice he paid for quicker and probably better. But the situation dictated this because Gurode could have had him charged for what he did. It forced him to humble quickly.

Whether or not it was truly genuine at the time is between he and his maker.

Possibly. And the jury is still out on Pacman. We'll know more in a year's time which is pretty much what I said about Al a year ago.

I'm no Pacman apologist. I've actually avoided any thread which mentioned the guy for months. But he's done NOTHING during the suspension to indicate to me he's not trying to be a better person and get back on the field. It's no different than a year ago during Al's suspension, IMO. Both walked the straight and narrow (so far).

If anyone sees it differently, it is only perception because the facts don't back it up.

9. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

I agree with TJ, it's not about Pacman, it's that the aesthetics of "how sincere the apology seems" shouldn't enter into the discussion, because theoretically a good person could simply suck at appearing heartfelt and a bad person could apologize all the time with big wet tears in their eyes.

Not that you can't make an argument that AH is probably a better person, but just that "how sincere his apology seems" (after he's been caught doing something) shouldn't enter into that discussion. It should be facts from his past or future, or his character before he got into trouble, but not something that can be easily manipulated like a apology (which is done only to gain back support).

10. TitanJeff

Said much better than I did.

Judge them both on their actions since the suspension. Pacman hasn't done anything except be falsely accused of something in Atlanta that never panned out. Maybe the rasslin' thing just rubs some the wrong way. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar