Reinfeldt Looking to Upgrade Roster

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Why offer a boat load of cash to medicore players in Bennett & Wade when they can easily be replaced?

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Replaced by whom?

Even if we assume that bennett and wade are no more than average players at their position that must be better than what we have because those other guys were on the bench behind them. Bennett was 27% of the passing game do you replace him with roby who had 2 catches? Maybe of roby can stay healthy and show more than he has but that's a risk.

It's not a boat load of cash either. The nfl salary cap increases about 15% a year on average and doubles every 5 years. For a long term deal these numbers are not that large. Players like bennett might be getting $10M a year deals in 5-6 years. He already got $6M from the rams. Kevin curtis signed a 6 year $32M deal for the eagles. Are the rams and eagles dumb organizations? The pats paid wes welcker $18M for 5 years and he just has 2 career TDs. Bobby wade a similar type player could have been had for maybe $5M less.

They offered 35 year old keyshawn johnson $4M a year and stallworth 6M. Are those players better? I don't think so..

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Bennett will be a great #3 behind Holt & Bruce and will eventually replace Issac probably after this year. Bennett was forced into a #1 role here & failed badly. Drew thrived with Billy at the end of 04 & did nothing spectacular after that. No way were we going to pay that inflated price tag for him. Wade was pretty solid for a slot guy but not for 15 mil. No way he lives up to that money in Minny IMO. We've seen what both could do here & it wasn't anything to get excited about. Time for the young guys to finally get on the field.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

$15m?

That's over 5 years! $3M a year and we could have signed wade for less. I'm not saying we should have signed bennett for what the rams gave him but had we offered something competitive he may have signed for about $1M a year less.

We can't say that their prices are inflated when other similar caliber WRs make more than that. Certainly bennett is equal to kevin curtis in fact the rams think he is better. Well? Curtis got $5.33M a year. Seems like that is the going rate for decent #2 Wrs then. And wade's $3M is the going rate for #3 Wrs.

The longer the deal the higher the deal has to be on a per year basis. Watch in just 2-3 seasons a player like curtis and bennett will be signing a deal for $7-8M and the cap will be $30M higher.

5. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

It just all depends on how the contract is structured also. I don't know much about Bennett's, Wade's or Curtis' contracts & whether they're front-loaded or back-loaded but in Stallworth's case, he is basically a one year rental where he can opt out after year 1 with NE. Unless we're getting close to a championship, I don't see the use of overpaying for medicore players.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If we get Brown which I think he's a good player and all but look at are RB's.

White- Not alot of work ethic, over weight, didn't see much of him last year that impressed me, little bit of attitude problem.

Henry- Barely started at any level including high school, lots of potential but most of that came from the results of the combine, and not really anything special about him.

Brown- You can say at least 1 good year, injury prone, and was upset with management last season.

Wow don't we have some special players. I'm just trying to be truthful. I have all confidence in our backs I'm just thinking realistic.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Stallworth was dumb..

He will get a $6M roster bonus in 08 but the pats won't give it to him. His plan was to have one big year and either get that bonus or get bigger bucks as a FA.

The point about stallworth is that the titans were willing to pay him at a similar rate to what the rams paid bennett. Again you use the term over pay. How do you come to that conclusion?

8. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Your right Roll, Stallworth made a very questionable decision in signing with NE. But I use the "over-payed" phrase with Bennett because other than the late season stretch back in 04, he hasn't done squat to get payed that 30 mil price tag.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Stallworth was stupid IMO. The Titans offered him a deal slightly more than he was worth with more years. If he has an off year or gets injured he is going to be screwed. For all those who think Bennett is only average watch what he does in a passing offense. We saw what he was able to do when he was in a passing offense here and I'm not sure he can't do as well with the Rams.

The bottom line is we can only hope one or two of these young guys is as "average" as Bennett and even if Jones turns out to be as good or better you can bet his contract demands down the road will be even more eye popping than Bennett's.

Here we sit after the draft and we still have holes at RB and WR, areas critical to our offensive success. We also have yet to really upgrade our defense in a major way. We also still have to consider getting our young OL signed for the long term or even that part of the team will be hurting in a few years.

10. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

This is comical. A passing offense Sox? Other than that 3 game stretch in late 04 with Volek, what has Bennett done that is beyond average? Not a thing. Take a look.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/245091

Bennett as a #3 receiver in St. Louis? I'll take him

As a #1 though in Nashville? No way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar