Regular Season game in London

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by LazyManJackson, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

We've had the same happen with former Rugby players coming out to play football. Fact is they're two entirely different sports and being good at one does not make you good at the other.

2. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

I even had a pro rugby player here on my team for 3 weeks, he ended up being a fumbler RB and quitted but the guy could hit hard.
    He almost broke my neck.

I havent made up the stats, I read Spain has the highest child obesity increasing rate of the EU. No sports at school. Just soccer, like it or not. And too much PCs-PSs and TVs

3. Guig

Guig Starter

I'm not a "northerner", and once again England <> Great Britain.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

An nfl team in london!

How could a nation of 50 million people not be able to support one football team and fill wembley 8 times a year? The tele rights would be big as well. Even if 4% of all english males tune in regularly to the games that's still over a million viewers for one game.

The team colors? White and red of course. Only drawback is that guys like lazyman will start referring to the super bowl as "the precious'.

As far as the name for the team? The queens! It's so regal you know..:eek:

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Rugby can be a big chess match. It's a complicated sport that most don't understand. Football actually derived from Rugby, and the term scrum was eventually changed over here to scrimmage, thus the line of scrimmage where the ball is put into play. Around 1915 when football put the forward pass in is where the two sports started distancing themselves.

6. Guig

Guig Starter

Can I make the point yet again that England <> Great Britain!

At the height of American Football interest in the UK the American Bowl was able to fill Wembley (with people from all over Great Britain) and the Claymores averaged less than 10k per game during their existence. Even when they were in the World Bowl the crowd was only around 40k.

Unfortunately we are decades beyond the American Bowls and the World Bowl and I doubt you would get close to any of those figures these days.

7. What division would the ''London Royals'' play in though, I guess the NFC/AFC East, don't worry though, its not gonna happen and even if it did, I'd still be a Titan fan through and through...

Hmmmmmmmm, I think around 30-50000 people are interested enough in the game in the U.K to go watch at Wembely or any other stadium in the U.K, that's if they bring their mates and family...

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

To a lot of us 'Brits' it's frustrating that any kind of big event is always hosted in London. That is a major reason why it would not be well supported.

There is also a certain degree of 'racism' in the UK when it comes to sports teams & individual sports stars. Any England team or individual is generally hated by the Scots & the Welsh. Any so called 'British' team that played all it's home games in London would be seen to be catering to the English & not be supported over the border.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Guig...

Why are you so hung up on this british thing? Doesn't england & scotland have seperate world cup teams? You yourself said that you would not support a london based team which is why i said that. Support for a London based NFL team would come almost entirely from England because that is the population base.

You understand that a real NFL team is significantly different from that NFL europe product. Nobody on either side of the atlantic cares about a scrub league. This is a real nfl team that could potentially play in a super bowl. London could even host a super bowl someday. Whole different situation. Nobody in America supports NFL europe caliber leagues either. See the usfl or the canadian league's attempt to play in American cities.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

USFL was doing "ok" till they decided to move to the fall.

Canadian League was just different enough to doom it in the US - IMHO

I think places like Memphis, Birmingham, Columbus, Oklahoma City, ect.. would support SPRING football. Getting an ownership group that was willing to support a second tier franchise in second tier cities would probably be a bigger issue than butts in seats.

I mean think about it Rich Gannon could probably be starting for the Birmingham Bulls come march;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar