Reggie Bush tapes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by User Name, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Everyone knows that trophy belongs to Vince anyway. It belonged to him pre and especially post-Rose Bowl. Not like it truly matters though, I put the Heisman trophy on the same pedestal as a Pro Bowl honor. But the essence and intent of it belongs to Vince.

2. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I don't like the idea of taking away USC's national title, I don't think you can punish the team/school when they had nothing to do with it, but I see nothing wrong with removing any individual honors Reggie got (Heismann, records, whatever else) but who's to say that had Reggie not been there they wouldn't have won anyway with LenDale? Although I definately have nothing wrong with people finally recognizing that they were not the 2003 national champions since they didn't even play in the national championship game.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Slightly off the mark...

Several different points and most are good, but....... The universities make MILLIONS of dollars off of these athletes. Yes, they can give a kid a free ride and pay for the 3 years of college a superstar like Reggie Bush only stays before he gets paid by the NFL. Frankly, they need to put some of that money towards the players so there is less incentive. The free ride is a given but the players never see or 'feel' that money (even though that in itself is a good chunk of cash). However, if you want these players to follow the rules, you need to give them a tangible incentive...like a 2k a month stipend on top of their scholarship. On the flip side, there needs to be some real consequences for an agent that gets a player busted under NCAA rules. I don' really know how the agent thing works but perhaps they get their license pulled for a year or similar so the penalty is more than their reward (for breaking the rules).

But much like everything else in college football (can you say BCS?), the whole system needs overhauling...which won't happen because too many people are making too much money to allow change for something like a playoff system.

Right now...the system is set up for people to cheat....the agents give the superstar athletes their own 'bonus' (like a nice house for Mom), the athletes carry the team to a bowl game and a fat paycheck for the university, the player gets a hefty amount of green when he's drafted and the school will expect their own kickback the following year. Everybody wins....ok, so they don't all win, but they all get paid!

Unfortunately, the essence of the sport is damaged....and that spirit is what college sports used to be about. The NFL is following suit in their own way by altering the rules to unbalance the game towards the offensive side of the ball. A lot of people used to love a great defensive game. Today's society thinks that's just boring.

I think it's a shame...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar